MF 65 Overheating

/ MF 65 Overheating #1  

mgmhistory

I have a 1958 MF 65 with the gas engine. After an hour of use, it overheats to the point of dying, steam and fluid overflow. After sitting a while it starts right up but this time is will not take an hour to overheat, much less. When this first happened I thought thermostat and so I replaced that and while I was doing that I notice the radiator is in bad shape so I replaced that along with the hoses. No luck, it is still over heating, any ideas. I am desperate as I have no way to haul it somewhere to be repaired. By the way I am no mechanic but can follow directions.

/ MF 65 Overheating #2  
You say you chg the Rad so it shouldn't be a problem with it.It could a faulty thermostat even if its new.What you can try is take the thermostat out and hold it over a steaming kettle and watch to see if it opens.You can pour hot water into a old jar and watch to see if it opens as well.If that all checks out then its a possibility the water pump isn't ciculating the water properly.One other thing is the engine block may need to be flushed out.Go to any parts store and buy a bottle [or 2] of radiator flush follow the directions on the bottle.Put new antifreeze in and that should hopefully help.The engine block could be all blocked with crud. Other then doing the above not sure what else to say other then it needs a good cleaning.Hope this helps.Larry

/ MF 65 Overheating
How can I tell if the water pump isn't circulating the water properly? I will try all the other things mentioned first of course.

/ MF 65 Overheating #4  
If the water pump is working, you should see a cross flow in the fluid in the radiator (looking thru the radiator cap hole). Any water mixing with the oil? I would not run the tractor till the engine quits anymore. Something internally is getting close to doing bad things. Ken Sweet

/ MF 65 Overheating #5  
I would do a compression check on the engine. If you do not have a gauge to check the compression with, you can rent one at Auto Zone or Advance. The symptoms you describe sounds like a blown head gasket leaking exhaust gas into the cooling system. Since it is a gas engine replacing the head gasket should not be a problem. If the compression check discloses a weak cylinder and you do remove the head please check to insure it is not warped prior to re-installing. If you do not know how to check for warpage take the head to a machine shop. The water pump could also be worn and not circulating water correctly. Continuing to operate the engine by running until it get hot enough to stop will shortly require the removal of the radiator cap and placing it on another engine.

/ MF 65 Overheating
Thanks for all the replies, I will try to answer the few questions asked. No there does not appear to be any water mixing with oil. Currently the radiator coolant is in good condition. When the tractor does get hot and I shut it down, water comes out the overflow tube and there is some steam. One other problem is that temperature gauge does not work and that makes it difficult to tell temperature.

Anyway, I will look and see if the coolant is moving in the radiator and then will move on the the thermostat again. If indeed the water is not moving I assume that is indicating water pump, how difficult is that to replace? As I stating earlier I am no mechanic but can read and follow directions.

Thanks for all the advice and help, I will keep everyone posted when I can, as I said I work full time and can only work on things on the weekends and occasional evening.

/ MF 65 Overheating #7  
Thanks for all the replies, I will try to answer the few questions asked. No there does not appear to be any water mixing with oil. Currently the radiator coolant is in good condition. When the tractor does get hot and I shut it down, water comes out the overflow tube and there is some steam. One other problem is that temperature gauge does not work and that makes it difficult to tell temperature.

Anyway, I will look and see if the coolant is moving in the radiator and then will move on the the thermostat again. If indeed the water is not moving I assume that is indicating water pump, how difficult is that to replace? As I stating earlier I am no mechanic but can read and follow directions.

Thanks for all the advice and help, I will keep everyone posted when I can, as I said I work full time and can only work on things on the weekends and occasional evening.

I have forget on a MF 65, You may be able to remove the fan blade and access all the bolts on the water pump. If you cant, then the radiator has to come out. Ken Sweet

/ MF 65 Overheating
I see what you are asking now, no even then the coolant was not rusty.

/ MF 65 Overheating #9  
I forgot to ask but how long have you owned the tractor.Have you ever used it for any length of time without it overheating,before this current problem that your having now.The reason I ask is that if this tractor has done this since you've had it .Anyway you can find out if the previous owner had this problem???? Do you know if he's ever had the head off and replaced the head gasket.I'am reaching here as if this kinda work was done it could be the wrong head gasket or put on backwards blocking the proper water flow through the water jackets.This is a long shot,thats why I didn't mention it up earlier.If you've had the trator for awhile and have used it without it over heating you can rule this out what I've just asked,Larry