Oil & Fuel No apparent oil filter

/ No apparent oil filter #1  

Zork

Platinum Member
Tractor
'04 Branson 3520, '51 Fergy, '96 MTD 18/46, '02 Craftsman GT5000/48
Hey all!- Zork here! I have a 1951 T020 and I do not see an oil filter/ assembly on the engine; or at any area where it might be installed. I did notice a round disk-like cover on the base of my oil pan that may be an access to this filter.

Can anyone help me with this and, Thank you in advance for any replies.

Attachments

• IMG_7648pan.jpg
    IMG_7648pan.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_7650lft eng.jpg
    IMG_7650lft eng.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 243
   / No apparent oil filter #2  
Hey all!- Zork here! I have a 1951 T020 and I do not see an oil filter/ assembly on the engine; or at any area where it might be installed. I did notice a round disk-like cover on the base of my oil pan that may be an access to this filter.

PURE SPECULATION;
It might only have an oil "strainer", certainly that is what some motorcycles of the 50s and 60s had.
In which case you take it out and rinse it in solvent, then put it back.
The owners' manual should detail this - I know, you might not have it but it may be available on-line.
I don't remember when spin on disposable oil filters came into general use, mid to late 60s at a guess.

/ No apparent oil filter #3  
Or, again like cycles, a centrifugal "spinner" filter behind the screen...?

/ No apparent oil filter #4  
G'day should be on the right side of the engine about halfway?? round canister about 6" long and 2 1/2 diameter. Hope this helps

Jon

/ No apparent oil filter
G'day should be on the right side of the engine about halfway?? round canister about 6" long and 2 1/2 diameter. Hope this helps

Jon

Jon, That's what I figured; it would have to be on one side or the other. The only thing on the right side is the Carb, Generator, and intake/exhaust manifold.

I plan on buying a manual for this gem. In the meantime, if it is an internal screen what is the usual service interval?

/ No apparent oil filter #6  
They didn't have oil filter's back then. Even the cars and trucks from that time era didn't have oil filters.What they used to do was buy a kit that used a toilet paper roll as a filter.There was a canister that held the roll that had a pressure line comminig from a oil gallery on the block and a return line as well to the block.Eventually they made a spot built into the block for the canister paper cartridge filter's and now we have the spin on type.Back then change the oil was all that was done. Of course if they had the screen you washed it out and reused it.Larry

/ No apparent oil filter #7  
The oil filter on the TO20 is in the oil pan, it is accessed by removing the plate on the bottom of the pan, remove the plate carefully and note how the spring and washers are installed.

/ No apparent oil filter #8  

The partial flow oil filter is inside the crankcase. Remove the round plate at the bottom.