GC parking brake popped out! Damage pics.

/ GC parking brake popped out! Damage pics.
I won't trust mine either, but I noticed something yesterday while I was fiddling around.
When you push the pedal down and move the lever to lock the brake, look at the hole in the floorboard...........you can see the locking arm, if it is straight up and down.......it is locked securely.
Hope this helps,
Don

EDIT: I tried to duplicate the scenario, of mine popping out. I was succesful in the duplication.
The rounded eges of the locking mechanism can get caught making me think the brake is fully engaged, when it isn't. I believe that is what happened with mine.

I believe mine did the same. Should not be able to do that, IMO.

/ GC parking brake popped out! Damage pics. #102  
Wacky,
Those pictures of your tractor just turn my stomach.

I have a GC2410 with less than 50 hours on it. I have had the same issue with the parking brake. On two occasions I have had the brake pop out after being applied. Fortunately for me the tractor was on a low slope and only started to crawl forward. I was able to walk around the tractor and apply the brake before it had moved more than a couple of feet.

In both cases all I had mounted on the tractor was the mid-mount mower deck. Can't lower the loader or backhoe to act as a drag when they are not mounted. If I had been on a steep hill it would have been gone. (hence the turned stomach)

I also no longer trust the brake. A brake should either 100% engage or not. Obviously the design of this brake allows the operator to believe that the brake has been correctly set when it is not.

Until I read this thread I did not think much of it other than it was a touchy brake. Now I can see this is a serious issue for the machine.

I don't see the dealer doing anything about this unless there is a service bulletin issued regarding it. That being the case can anyone recommend how to go about lodging a formal issue/complaint with Massey & Agco to have this issue addressed before someone is seriously hurt?

I just got a "dealer experience" checklist in the mail from AGCO reguarding my experience from start to finish.
There was a paper asking how they could improve there products or dealer experiences, so I let them know about this issue and the website so they can see for themselves this is a problem that needs addressed. I also told them how the dealer has been through this whole ordeal. I am now happy that I bought from them.

The dealer called me today to tell me all the parts have been ordered and should arrive by Wednesday next week. The work should be done by the following Saturday:thumbsup:! I told them that I want ALL the old parts back, they said no problem. The insurance company went and took pics and the dealers estimate, they are sending me a check for the whole deal. I made them aware of the problem with the brake and this website so if they want, they can do whatever they need to get there money back.

I have a question, if anyone knows. The fuel pump was hit by the hood only, no dent in the pump, just red paint scratched across it. The tractor starts and runs fine. Could it be damaged internally from the jar of the wreck that may not show up until used for a while?:confused:

/ GC parking brake popped out! Damage pics. #104  
I have had the same issue with the parking brake. On two occasions I have had the brake pop out after being applied. Fortunately for me the tractor was on a low slope and only started to crawl forward. I was able to walk around the tractor and apply the brake before it had moved more than a couple of feet.

Seems HST tractors and ZT mowers have a lot of the same issues.
Dragons, you might be interestd in reading this- NIOSH FACE Program: Massachusetts Case Report 03MA041 | CDC/NIOSH

The operating manual doesn't seem to have been rewritten for HST units. Leaving the selector in turtle will slow the tractor if the parking brake fails. Left in neutral per the manual, it just hurtles down the slope.

/ GC parking brake popped out! Damage pics. #105  
I have approximately 60 Hours on My GC2410 and I also do not trust the Brake on it, I have always been careful to not fully trust it because it seemed very fragile when it is engaged.
Maybe something can be done about it if we persist with the Company??
Hope everything works out for you Whacky!

/ GC parking brake popped out! Damage pics. #106  
I have a MF 1250 which has experienced the same parking brake problem. Fortunately, I realized this was a problem before any accident and have never trusted the parking brake. I once disassembled the parking brake lever assembly and it appeared to be made of soft metal with the teeth on the pawl and ratchet being worn down to almost a smooth surface. Because of this, the two pieces do not engage as well as it was originally designed to and slide across each other. Of course the wear could be due to the previous owner not firmly pressing on the pedal before setting the parking brake thus not engaging all of the teeth. However, in my opinion the metal should have been hardened. Now, I put my foot under the brake pedal and pull up with some force after setting the parking brake just to make sure it will hold. Still do not trust it though.

/ GC parking brake popped out! Damage pics. #107  
We made sure they knew about TBN many years ago. :thumbsup:

There were some minor issues with the first generation of the 2300's. Thanks to the diligence of the pioneers who bought them, and AGCO's cooperation, you do not have those in your models.

/ GC parking brake popped out! Damage pics. #108  
Don't push your dealer to get your tractor back quick! Let the dealer take his time to make sure everything is 100% If the dealer knows your in a rush for your tractor they will be in a rush to get it back to you.....FYI. Good luck to ya! James from Ohio

/ GC parking brake popped out! Damage pics. #109  
Don't push your dealer to get your tractor back quick! Let the dealer take his time to make sure everything is 100% If the dealer knows your in a rush for your tractor they will be in a rush to get it back to you.....FYI. Good luck to ya! James from Ohio

I would suggest you let them take a reasonable amount of time, and don't push them. But, you should never actually say to service people it's okay to "take their time".

Of course, we love it when customers say that, but it is not a good idea for them to do so. If you do, and they get busy :eek:. When two customers are screaming they need theirs, and a third one, (you), said, "take your time", you have given them license to put you on the back burner. And boy, does this happen a lot. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Dropping something off, and never following up on it, eventually, has the same effect as saying your not in a hurry. Checking every two weeks or so, either in person, (my recommendation), or by phone, and asking, "how things are going?" will gently remind them you expect some progress, and keep your project on the schedule.

I would think this would be a good time of the year to get this repair done. Is this not a slower time of the year for a tractor service center? I don't spend any time in mine, so I really don't know.

I, by no means, want them to rush on finishing my tractor. I do, however, expect to get it back in a "reasonable" amount of time. The estimate said 40 hrs labor so after they have the parts by Wednesday, I figure 1 1/2 wks is plenty of time to finish the job, unless of course there is a supplement that needs done. Then the insurance co. may have to come out and take more pics, write another check while the dealer has to place another parts order. I don't feel that this will be the case, but one never knows.