Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem

/ Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem #11  
Hey Everyone

Here's an update. I called again today to check for progress. Service allowed that was the nature of the tractor. I commented that from my conversations here that none of the other users way having the same problem and that their answer was unacceptable. He said he would get the area representitive involved. Stay tuned..................

tpoole12

Any update on your issue, was the area rep of any assistance?

/ Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem
Any update on your issue, was the area rep of any assistance?

Well I got a call this morning. The service manager said the rep drove it around and they don't see a problem. I've got a feeling they are going to do nothing. I am going to invite them to my place and actually use the thing. I have about ten hay bales I need to load on the gooseneck to get them out of the yard so if they are willing to do that and still tell me there is not a problem then I'll just take a bath on this tractor and buy a Kubota or a Deere. It hurts me to say that but something is wrong and they just don't know how to fix it. I'm sure they will be more to come.

tpoole12

/ Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem #13  
funny how something like that is always normal, or so they say.

/ Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem #14  
Seems to me, as mentioned in one of your earlier posts, if the people at the dealership drove it around and they too thought it grabbed a little at the top end of the clutch travel (assuming these people drive all tractors delivered to their lot off the flatbed), why is it now that they feel it is normal.

If they have another shuttle shift, doesn't matter if it's a 1635/1643/1648 or 1652, try it and see if it does the same thing. That should prove whether what you're experiencing is or isn't "normal".

/ Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem #15  
Hey Everyone

Here's an update. I called again today to check for progress. Service allowed that was the nature of the tractor. I commented that from my conversations here that none of the other users way having the same problem and that their answer was unacceptable. He said he would get the area representitive involved. Stay tuned..................

tpoole12

That is great to hear!! Hope it all works out.

df.

Hey Everyone

Been a while since I beat this horse. Tractor has been on a couple of round trips to the dealer. Still got a problem. Have learned to tolerate the issue a little. Have also learned a little about haow the powershuttle works. The more I've used it I have found two things to be true. The problem is alot less severe if I have the loader off. If operating with the loader on but not in use it is more noticeable. When operating the loader and the clutch together it will shake the #$%^ out of you. Also I've found that if you are sitting still and attempt to turn the front wheels the steering wheel will turn easily for about a turn and a half then go stiff. You have to move the tractor a little to get it to turn the wheels any further. Shop Supv. was out of work with his back for a while and service rep been unavailable. Last conversation with them, " bring it back over and I'll split it.. I want to look at the clutch" .

After all this time I'm beginning to think I"m dealiing with the wrong problem.
Someone correct me if I wrong but I think the problem is hydraulic. Everything on the tractor ( power steering, power shuttle, loader, lift ) depends on the pump and "priority regulator" .(Not sure of the correct term) I think there is either a pressure problem or a regulator problem. The only thing common to all the symptoms is hydraulic.

Let me say this so everyone will not think I'm just complaining. I love my 1643. It is a good well designed tractor. Comfortable cab, ergo friendly. Just wish the clutch / power steering problem was fixed. I put a but kicking stereo / cd player / amp in. Sounds better than my truck...

More to come..

tpoole12

/ Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem #17  
Hey Everyone

Been a while since I beat this horse. Tractor has been on a couple of round trips to the dealer. Still got a problem. Have learned to tolerate the issue a little. Have also learned a little about haow the powershuttle works. The more I've used it I have found two things to be true. The problem is alot less severe if I have the loader off. If operating with the loader on but not in use it is more noticeable. When operating the loader and the clutch together it will shake the #$%^ out of you. Also I've found that if you are sitting still and attempt to turn the front wheels the steering wheel will turn easily for about a turn and a half then go stiff. You have to move the tractor a little to get it to turn the wheels any further. Shop Supv. was out of work with his back for a while and service rep been unavailable. Last conversation with them, " bring it back over and I'll split it.. I want to look at the clutch" .

After all this time I'm beginning to think I"m dealiing with the wrong problem.
Someone correct me if I wrong but I think the problem is hydraulic. Everything on the tractor ( power steering, power shuttle, loader, lift ) depends on the pump and "priority regulator" .(Not sure of the correct term) I think there is either a pressure problem or a regulator problem. The only thing common to all the symptoms is hydraulic.

Let me say this so everyone will not think I'm just complaining. I love my 1643. It is a good well designed tractor. Comfortable cab, ergo friendly. Just wish the clutch / power steering problem was fixed. I put a but kicking stereo / cd player / amp in. Sounds better than my truck...

More to come..

tpoole12

Do you have the power shuttle or the synchro shuttle. From what you are saying i too believe it could be in the hydraulics. Just wondering have you changed the filter and fluids and if so did you go back with MF fluid and filters.
I had a large MF that was doing the same thing and when we changed everything and put the MF fluid and filters back in it it started working fine.
If i can help in any way just PM me and id be glad to help.

/ Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem #18  
Also I've found that if you are sitting still and attempt to turn the front wheels the steering wheel will turn easily for about a turn and a half then go stiff. You have to move the tractor a little to get it to turn the wheels any further.
tpoole12

I have a 1643 with a HST transmission and my powersteering works the same way. At first I thought that I just didn't have the engine RPMs up high enough for the hydraulic pump to provide adequate pressure to the steering. So, I increased the RPMs, but that didn't help. I posted about this and talked to my dealer, because I was concerned that this wasn't right. My dealer told me this is indeed normal and a design feature. Basically, the logic is turning the wheels back and forth while the tractor is stationary puts a lot of stress on the steering linkage, especially if you have a heavy load on the loader. By limiting the amount the front wheels move when the tractor is stationary helps to reduce this wear.

No as for your clutch issue...no answers there!

Do you have the power shuttle or the synchro shuttle. From what you are saying i too believe it could be in the hydraulics. Just wondering have you changed the filter and fluids and if so did you go back with MF fluid and filters.
I had a large MF that was doing the same thing and when we changed everything and put the MF fluid and filters back in it it started working fine.
If i can help in any way just PM me and id be glad to help.

I have the Power shuttle. The problem was there on day one. I asked them to change the fluids at the dealer when they worked on it earlier. Looking back I may have to get under it and see if any bolts have been turned.

I should have had them pick it up after delivery but my old 245 was sick (3800 hrs. ) and I had about 25 acres of hay that had to go up. Since then I inframed the 245. Found the rings on #3 was shot. New pistons, sleeves, bearings and gaskets. Runs like new!

As for the 1643, I sure hate to lose it right now. 6 1/2 inches of snow that got us last week have made this East Tn. red clay slick as snot. I have a new road up to the feed lot. Not sure if the 245 could paw it's way up there.
The heater and four wheel drive on the 1643 must be making me soft...:)

tpoole12

I have a 1643 with a HST transmission and my powersteering works the same way. At first I thought that I just didn't have the engine RPMs up high enough for the hydraulic pump to provide adequate pressure to the steering. So, I increased the RPMs, but that didn't help. I posted about this and talked to my dealer, because I was concerned that this wasn't right. My dealer told me this is indeed normal and a design feature. Basically, the logic is turning the wheels back and forth while the tractor is stationary puts a lot of stress on the steering linkage, especially if you have a heavy load on the loader. By limiting the amount the front wheels move when the tractor is stationary helps to reduce this wear.

No as for your clutch issue...no answers there!

Thanks for the reply. I haven't heard that theory but it probably would take care of the linkage. I'm not sure its a good idea as many times I have put myself in situations where I need to turn full range and then some..:) My late father would just shake his head and walk away.. That was worse than the butt chewings I should have gotten...:laughing:

As for the rpms I have found the same to be true. It doesn't help the steering and makes the clutch issue worse.. Lowering the rpms helps that but when your pointed up hill trying to start a round bale you've got no choice. When working the loader you can some times lower the rpms but its a hassle. The shop supv. suggested using the foot throttle but I had ACL surgery years ago on my right knee and the punch throttle is just not in a place my knee wants to be. If I was going to change anything about the lay out of the cab The foot throttle would be it. Like I said earlier, I like the machine. The clutch issue is the only problem...

tpoole12