Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem

/ Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem
Hello Everyone

Thought I would pull this thread out of the cellar and blow the dust off......:laughing:

Currently my 1643 is at the dealer where it has been since March 3rd. Since it's prior return home from it's earlier trips to the dealer I worked the heck out of it every chance I got. The clutch continued to perform as it had since it was new. My last project was yard boxing in the pond area gathering enough red clay to install a culvert in the new road to the feed area. During that job the clutch started a new habit. I would back into the pond bed, shift the power shuttle to forward, let out the clutch and it would set there momentarily then start foward slowly then engage fully. Needless to say I was sure that this was not proper operation. I immediatly returned the 1643 to the dealer. The tractor was split...:(... and low a behold they found the clutch was all to heck. The service tech told me that it was only catching on the out side and they thought the clutch was cupped. Parts had to be ordered. New clutch was to be installed. Didn't hear anything for a week. Afterward I happened to be in the area and stopped by to check on the progress. He said it was ready last week but they had held a big auction the weekend before and the service tech told me that the tractor was back together but he had not had time with the auction prep and now loading the auction stuff out to check it over. I asked about the steering and he said after they fixed the clutch it worked great. We proceeded out back to find it and after a brief search it was located. I hoped in and fired that puppy up. I raised the loader tried to turn the steering, it turned about a turn left and bound up. I turned it about a turn and a half to the right and it bound up with him standing there. He said he didn't understand. It worked great when they finiished the clutch. He got paged to the phone. I told him I'd check ou the clutch. Ilet the the clutch out and it felt like it did when the tractor was new. It was somewhat functional but if you started to try to ease up on something it would start to shake just like before but at least it wouldn't slip like it did in the pond. I shut it off, went in the shop where I was told that they would get right on that steering that it wasn't supposed to act like that.
I remembered that someone had mentioned in this thread that a dealer had told them that it was designed that way so I asked my salesman to give me some keys. I went to the lot. They had a 1635, two 1643 and a 1648 tha was all powershuttles with loaders. None had a cab like mine but I didn't think that should matter. I tried all of them with the loaders raised. The thirty five was worse than mine, one 1643 was alot better than mine the other was about the same. The 1648 performed flawlessly. I had the loader up and turned the steering full range left and right. I went in and told them my experiment. I was told by the service tech and area agco rep that they should all work like the 1648 did. (Note: The area rep used to work for this dealer and left agco and returned to the dealer because he was tired of being on the road.) That was last Monday. He sent emails to agco asking for help. They have since experimented and measured pressures and want him to try to adjust it. He said it requires disassembly and re assembly everytime you tweak it. I and he both think that a new pump would be cheaper for all in the long run. I finally had all I could take and called agco. I had recieved a customer satifaction survey in the mail a couple of months ago. I had refrained from sending it back till we worked thru this problem. I have done business for many years with this dealer. I know everyones name, their past, most of their kids. I bought my 245 from them and they always have been fair. I've even borrowed tools when I did an inframe rebuild on the 245 at 3600 hrs. I shared all this with the poor guy at agco that answered the phone he assured me that they will help the dealer. I may not be an agco service tech but I now think the problem goes deaper. Instead of a clutch being "cupped" I think we have a bigger problem with castings and alignment issues. I also complained that I had inquired about trading this thing but I keep being told that they are looking for a 1643 or 48 or 52 CL powershuttle. The man on the phone from agco told me I could now go online and build me a tractor and get a quote... I did.... Specked a 1652 CL Dyna Op Powershuttle. Stay tuned......

tpoole12

Good Morning

Well for me anyway. I just finished a four shift run 6 pm to 6am. Got off this morning, slept till noon. I got in the shower to wake up and heard the phone ring. By the time I got to it the answering machine had logged the call. It was an agco rep. Said he would call back. I hate I missed it. I'm in the right frame of mind to be brutaly honest. I get that way when I'm working nights. I've also noticed that it makes my wife hard to get along with.... I guess she just misses me......................:laughing:

I'll let you know what he say's.....

tpoole12

Hello Everyone

Brought the tractor home Wednesday. Used it about 10 hours since. Steering greatly improved. At low rpms its will still stop after a turn and a half but at half throttle and up it works well. (even with a loaded bucket)....:thumbsup:

As for the clutch, ehhhhhhh well, Same song / same dance.... It feels just like it did at day one... I'm not happy with the way it performs.. If I let the clutch out till its starting catch you can feel it start to "pulse". A little more and it will start to shake the tractor.. At that point its either dump the clutch or clutch it and back off the throttle and try again.. Makes it really difficult to take off on rough ground or up hill at pto speed.. At they dealer they tell me I'm riding the clutch.. I guess I am but I feel that to not abuse equipment you must ride it a little to transition from stopped to moving at high rpms. ( I guess I've been riding the clutch since I was nine years old ) So Guy's and Gal's.... Do you all think its a tractor or an operator problem? I've tried to describe my problem the best I can. I've shown the service people what happens and they say the new clutch is to specs and works like it should.. I'd love a little feed back and if you think I'm in the wrong then let me know.. You won't hurt my feelings.. After fifty plus years I don't have many left...... My take is this... New tractor has a clutch replaced at 130 hrs.... BAD MOJO...They said that the clutch was faulty... New clutch, pressure plate.... Feels just like it did when it was new.. I've got a MF 245 @ 3600 hrs.. Original clutch.. I've operated it for at least half those hours... ?????????

tpoole12

PS: If anyone wants to drive it c'mon....

/ Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem #24  
I don't think you're wrong. Sounds to me like they are giving up and hoping you will just accept it as it is. It definitely doesn't sound like normal operation to me. I'd keep on them or get rid of it.

Kim

I don't think you're wrong. Sounds to me like they are giving up and hoping you will just accept it as it is. It definitely doesn't sound like normal operation to me. I'd keep on them or get rid of it.

Kim

Thanks Kim

I starting to feel like I'm.... :mur:

tpoole12

/ Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem #26  
Something just isn't in line. In my opinion the clutch will go again, how soon, could be after warranty is gone or next month. They should have specked out the measurements when the tractor was broken down from bell housing to pressure plate and so on. There could be a problem when the housings were milled at the factory. I have ran into problems like this when I was manager over a fleet of over 30 in a surface mine operation for 25 years. The 1635 and 1643 have a different steering system than the other 1600 series. I just noticed this the other day. I was at Tyler the other day looking on the lot for a 1652 cab tractor, they didn't have one but i think I saw your tractor around back. Very nice tractor too. If this problem continues I would tell agco you are going to an attorney.

Something just isn't in line. In my opinion the clutch will go again, how soon, could be after warranty is gone or next month. They should have specked out the measurements when the tractor was broken down from bell housing to pressure plate and so on. There could be a problem when the housings were milled at the factory. I have ran into problems like this when I was manager over a fleet of over 30 in a surface mine operation for 25 years. The 1635 and 1643 have a different steering system than the other 1600 series. I just noticed this the other day. I was at Tyler the other day looking on the lot for a 1652 cab tractor, they didn't have one but i think I saw your tractor around back. Very nice tractor too. If this problem continues I would tell agco you are going to an attorney.

Hey FarmX3

Don't let my problems keep you out of a nice tractor.. I like everything but the clutch.. I can live with the steering now that they worked it...

I'm also wanting to get a 1652.. Specked one on build / price.. The 1648 is the same engine with some injector magic...

I have more news from today. After being told that my new clutch was to spec and working properly, my wife found a new bolt about five inches long with a TY_10.9 head marking while riding a four wheeler down to the creek. After a little investigation I found where it came from.. So much for specs.. I'm going to be having a conversation in the morning.. I just hope they are foolish enough to call my wife to verify my story.. She's been wanting a piece of them.. She's the one who writes the checks.......:laughing:

tpoole12

PS: Look in the local directory for a poole on mint rd. Give me a call.. I'l let you test drive the heck out of this 1643.. It's a good design, but I think you nailed it with your summation of the problem..

/ Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem #28  
I found 2 of the 1652 series, one in Ky that im going to look at this week. I've seen one other but havent tested any yet. However I do think they will be one here on the farm very soon. Hope u get this problem resolved soon.

I found 2 of the 1652 series, one in Ky that im going to look at this week. I've seen one other but havent tested any yet. However I do think they will be one here on the farm very soon. Hope u get this problem resolved soon.

Thanks FarmX3

I heard there was 1652CL in Ky. I believe it was in the Somerset / Science Hill area. Good Luck..

tpoole12

Hey Everyone

Here's the latest. Agco rep supposed to be here Wednesday to discuss the problem. I think they finally decided that I'm not crazy and that there really is a problem. They said they would charge me for the hours I've put on the tractor. I'm curious just how much 134 hrs. are worth. I gave about $31000. I figure a good lifespan on a tractor @ 3600 hrs. Let me get my shoe and socks off and do a little math. 31000/3600= 8.61 Now let me multiply 134 x 8.61= $1153.74 . I've made 17 payments @ 0% of $430.00 totaling $7310. 7310 - 1153.74 = $6156.26 . Thats the number I'm going in with as a down payment on a new one. I may be able to wring a little more them but I doubt it. I've specked a 1652CL Dyna with a third function remote for the loader. I'm sure I'll have to fight about the price. I figure it will be around 39 to 40 K after dealer prep. I'll let you all know how it comes out.

I'm going to offer the rep a test drive at my place and suggest they get the 1643 back to their big shop and do a little research. I believe that agco could learn a little and make sure they don't have new tractors eating clutches in 130 hrs. I know quality control is tough in manufactoring and I also know that when your dealing with a new production series in any type of vehicle theres plenty of opportunity for errors. I know my 1643CL was one of the first out. I took deleivery in September 09 . I hadn't even seen a 1600 series till then except in photos.

I appreciate all of you for putting up with me over the last 16 months. It's been a battle but maybe it's about to come to an end. I have read all the threads I could find about the 1643's and have come to the conclusion that mine was the exception, not the rule. I still have to say its a great platform. It's ergo friendly features are right on. I just wish I wasn't the one to have this problem. I could have been happy to ride this tractor from now on. The only reason I'm going to the 1652 is it will give me a few more options when it comes to attachments. I really look forward to the options the third function on the loader will give me... Rock bucket with a grapple!! Yeah baby!!!! :thumbsup:

tpoole12