Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem

/ Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem #1  

tpoole12

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1643, Massey Ferguson 245
Hey Everyone

I'm looking for a little info. I have a MF 1643 Cab with shuttle shift. The problem I'm having is the clutch is really grabbing when I try to ease up to something such as spearing a hay bale or pulling in the shed to park. Due to the limited space and to much junk in my barns and sheds I have to pull all the way up close against the wall to keep my new toy in the dry. At rpm's greater than low idle it will shake the heck out of me and the tractor. It has done this from day one but has gotten progressively worse. It now has 77 hrs. on the machine. As soon as I got my hay up I returned it to the dealer and told them the problem. I happened by to get some parts for the old MF 245 and when I spoke to the service people they said that they had drove it around but agreed that it was really catchy at the top of the clutch pedal but they thought that was the way it supposed to act. Mentioned something about the shuttle working this way and the manuel clutch doing something else but it kinda sounded like bs to me. They said they were going to talk to the service rep and see if he knew anything. So.............. ( I said all that to ask this..) Has anyone else ran into this or is this the way they act or is there anyone who has a 1600 series shuttle that acts differently?

Thanks

tpoole12

/ Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem #2  
Hi ! Try to send a message to Dieselfreak ( see some of his reply in the owning section , tread is " MF 1600 series question) I think he owns a 1643 shuttle????? That,s the only help I can give you, mine is HST. Good luck. Roger

/ Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem #3  
Well with mine. If I am going to try to get real close to something I put it in a lower gear. Mine does not jerk but it will take off if in a higher gear. I have been on other geared tractors that have done the same thing. To me it acts like a geared tracor should.

/ Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem
Well with mine. If I am going to try to get real close to something I put it in a lower gear. Mine does not jerk but it will take off if in a higher gear. I have been on other geared tractors that have done the same thing. To me it acts like a geared tracor should.

eatenaben

Trust me on this. I have owned and used many tractors and I have never had one do this. While gathering round bales In a rough field I was running in high range, second gear, around 2000 rpms. (A little less than 540 pto speed) When you line up on a bale, tweak the spear and try to ease in with the foot clutch it will shake the dickens out of you. In my opinion I'm not asking it to do anything special.
I rarely use the foot throttle unless I'm doing loader work and my old 245 gets most of the rough work any way. The shuttle is not user friendly for the application I described above unles you lower the rpms witch is a pain in the rear to constantly change. I guess I'll have to find another 1600 series shuttle tractor and see if it does the same. I bet it won't but if they all act this way then Massey / Agco needs to get back to their drawing board.

tpoole12

Last edited:
Hi ! Try to send a message to Dieselfreak ( see some of his reply in the owning section , tread is " MF 1600 series question) I think he owns a 1643 shuttle????? That,s the only help I can give you, mine is HST. Good luck. Roger

Thanks Roger

I sent him a message..

tpoole12

/ Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem #6  
Tpoole12

Yeah mine does not shake. When I am bushhogging I can use my foot clutch to get around tight areas with no shaking.

Tpoole12

Yeah mine does not shake. When I am bushhogging I can use my foot clutch to get around tight areas with no shaking.

Thanks

I guess I could have decribed the problem better to start with. I haven't used it to bushog but when trying to start out up hill with my 5500 Heston, well lets just say it was quite a challenge,

tpoole12

/ Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem #8  
I have a good friend with a 1635, and no issues with this at all, and they are the same tractor, just your is a 4cyl. Ask for the Area rep to help out, because the dealer is feeding you BS. I do not own one yet, but after spending lots of time on the 1635, I may cave and get one soon.

df.

Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson 1643 Clutch Problem #9  
Maybe not the same symptom, but, with some of the older 1500's with cabs there was a shutter upon release. The fix was an extra thick washer on the front 2 cab mounts. Wasn't on all of them, must have just been the way the mounts lined up or something.

I have a good friend with a 1635, and no issues with this at all, and they are the same tractor, just your is a 4cyl. Ask for the Area rep to help out, because the dealer is feeding you BS. I do not own one yet, but after spending lots of time on the 1635, I may cave and get one soon.

df.

Hey Everyone

Here's an update. I called again today to check for progress. Service allowed that was the nature of the tractor. I commented that from my conversations here that none of the other users way having the same problem and that their answer was unacceptable. He said he would get the area representitive involved. Stay tuned..................

tpoole12