GC2300 problem

/ GC2300 problem #1  

homer8206

I was in the process of changing trans fluid and when I was replacing drain plug it would not tighten all the way. I took it back out and noticed that threre was metal from the threads of the oil pan. This is the 2nd time I changed the fluid and Im sure I didnt overtighten them the first time and the plug came out with normal force this time. The plug will go in all the way untill I get to the last turn and it just will keep turning. Does anyone have any ideas to resolve this other than the worst case senerio that is replacing the pan? This would be bad because it looks like the plug is built into the trans housing and the right rear axle housing.

/ GC2300 problem #2  
Go to your local parts supply store and ask for a self tapping oil pan plug.What you do is take the old plug with you so you can size the self tapping one just a bit bigger.It's just like it sounds you install the plug into the old hole and it'll make it's own new threads.Just be sure to install it as straight as possible into the old hole.Don't over tighten and it'll be fine. Remove the new plug Clean all the [metal] aluminum pieces out reinstall the new plug and you'll be good to go.This was a common repair procedure into the engine oil pans of car's and truck's,etc.Another thing you can do is buy a tap a bit bigger then the hole retap [rethread] the hole and install a larger diameter plug.Larry

/ GC2300 problem #4  
There is a better solution than a helicoil, its a circular pipe like insert that you tap the hole for it and using a swaging bolt run through the center that also correctly sizes the inside for the bolt you are going to use as the plug. heres the link ++ TIME-SERT Threaded inserts for stripped threads, threaded inserts, thread repair stripped sparkplug's, Ford sparkplug blowouts, threaded inserts threaded, repair stripped threads, stripped threads, inserts threaded inserts, Ford spark plug repair, a much better way to repair any stripped thread. Once you use them you will not use anything else.

Billy

/ GC2300 problem #5  
Never heard of them but after checking it out it looks like the product to use.Thanks for the info,I'll have to keep it in mind if I'am ever in the need for repairing a stripped out drian plug. Larry

/ GC2300 problem
Thanks guys I went with the easy option first and got a self tapping plug it went in tight and i just mowed 3 acres and no leaks. Thanks for the help