MF1643 power steering issue?

/ MF1643 power steering issue? #1  

jtheise4

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1643 & Allis-Chalmers D14
I have a quesiton for anyone out there with a Massey Ferguson 1600 series tractor. I just got my MF1643 last week and noticed something strange last night while doing some work in the yard. I noticed that if I'm sitting still and move the steering wheel from lock to lock, it does not turn the tires as sharply as when I'm actually moving. I'm assuming this is by design, but it just seemed odd to me. Is this the same on other's tractors or do I have an issue? Thanks.

/ MF1643 power steering issue? #2  
Sorry, I,m french and do not understand what you mean by turning **lock to lock** ( from extreme right to the opposite left?). Maybe like a car when not moving it is harder on the power steering pump ?. I,ve notice nothing with mine, except when idling and using the loader and trying to turn at the same time, it is easy to feel that the rpm have to be upgraded because not enough hydraulic flow so not enough power to the power steering. Everything works with Hydraulic flow. For me it doe,s not look like any problem. See you. Roger
The other tractor I had for 10 years had no power steering so my 1643 looks like flying :D

/ MF1643 power steering issue?
Yes, by lock to lock, I mean from extreme right to left. There is plenty of hydraulic pressure, but it gets to a certain point, and then there is no more power assist and almost seems to stop even if I try to turn more. I'm wondering if the computer limits the amount you can turn when sitting still to decrease the stress on the steering knuckles? RPMs are way up, so its not a hydraulic flow issue.

/ MF1643 power steering issue? #4  
It's not Computer controlled or anything. The 1500's were the same way. You can get about 1/2 way either direction and then it gets tuff. If you move forward or back a little while trying you can go to full lock. That's the way they are.

Usually most people wouldn't notice unless they're just playing to see how things work.

/ MF1643 power steering issue?
Yup, that's exactly what happens. Like you said, I never noticed until I was messing around turning the wheel while sitting still. As long as its normal, I'm good with it. I was just concerned that something was wrong. Thanks for the info.