MF1105 Front tyres rub spindle

/ MF1105 Front tyres rub spindle #1  

Paul O

Tractor
Mates MF1105
Hi,

My mate is computer illiterate so i am asking this on his behalf.

He recently picked up a MF1105. The front tyres are a 3 rib 11 x 16 and the sides rub against the spindle. Is this normal or is there a fix?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Paul O :thumbsup:
Australia.

/ MF1105 Front tyres rub spindle #2  
You sure don't want the tire's rubbing the spindles thats for sure you'll ruin the sidewalls of the tire's very quick.If these are the original rims then I suspect that there installed onto the hubs the wrong way.If you look close at the rim there dished in more on one side then the other.Take each rim off one at a time and and just install it back on the same side you've removed it from but turn it around so that the dished in way or offset of the rim is closer to the hub and I'am sure this is what your problem is.Hope this helps,let me know what happens.Larry

/ MF1105 Front tyres rub spindle
Ok Larry. I will catch up with the mate on Sunday and let him know. I might even get a photo to post so you can see what is going on.

Paul

/ MF1105 Front tyres rub spindle #5  
Ok Larry. I will catch up with the mate on Sunday and let him know. I might even get a photo to post so you can see what is going on.

Paul

Picture's are always good,it helps to show the possible problems.Larry

/ MF1105 Front tyres rub spindle
  • I downloaded the Massey Ferguson parts catalogue and found the rims in the catalogue are nothing like what is on the MF1105 in the photos.
  • The tops of the spindle and steering arm are welded
  • There has been a front end loader addition to the tractor

My mate reckons the hub is from something like a Belaris (Russian tractor). Any thoughts?

There is no advantage to flipping the rims.

Tractor.jpg

Hub.jpg

FRHside.jpg

Spindlerub.jpg

I'm interested to read your thoughts.

Thanks,

Paul

/ MF1105 Front tyres rub spindle #7  
I can see its a problem.Wrong hubs and rims.One sure fix is to buy proper hubs and rims from ????.Do you have any tractor salvage or wreckers in your area. A couple things come to mind as to what you could do for a quick fix [ not a pemanent solution] Unbolt the current rim from the hub and install some plates or washers between the hub and rim using longer bolts of course to hold the rim on.If you can add enough washers or plates to say give you say 1" clearance between the tire and spindle it sure would help.Of course making a spacer out of some sort of metal is OK as well. As long as the rim is still supported by the hub by adding as much spacers as you want I don't see and problems in doing this.As for the steering arm being welded to the spindle it shouldn't give you any problems other then if you ever have the need to take it apart.It hard to say why it was welded,all I can think is that it came loose at one time and was run like that causing both the spindle and steering arm to wear out a bit.There is a keyway cut into both the arm and spindle so they could have worn as well due to being run loose.I don't think that'll give you a problem unless you need to take it apart thenthe weld will have to be ground off.Hope this helps.Let me know what you end up doing to correct your problem.Larry

/ MF1105 Front tyres rub spindle #8  
you might be able to cut the centers out of the rims and move them over to change the offset/backspacing.

/ MF1105 Front tyres rub spindle #9  
Just took a closer look at the rim.Are the tabs welded to the rim or do those tabs press the rim tight against the hubb.I can't really tell by the pic.If they hold the rim tight too the hub like they do on some trailers then my earlier post about putting spacers behind isn;t going to be of any help.Sorry about that.Looks like its time to go to a tractor salavge yard.Larry.

/ MF1105 Front tyres rub spindle #10  
can you use a piece of 3/8 round stock, or maybe flat bar, as a spacer/s between the hub and the wheel?

for the speed you will be traveling, maybe you could even weld them on? (not the wheels;))