What are the holes for?

/ What are the holes for? #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
OK I'm showing my ignorance here, but am going to make a WAG. On my MF1014 FEL bucket, there is a row of square holes. Are these for teeth that help in digging?

If so, where would I find these things, as I could REALLY use them?

/ What are the holes for? #2  
The square holes are for plow bolts which hold a replaceable cutting edge onto the bucket. The plow bolts look something like a carriage bolt, but are made from a much higher grade of steel.

For teeth to help with digging you would need a toothbar. Most toothbars are not compatible with the replaceable cutting edges, so you have to make a choice of one or the other.

/ What are the holes for?
I guess I'm confused, because there is an "edge" on the blade already, and it doesn't seem removable. Does the replacable blade go in front of the original?

OK I googled it and see what it is. Not interested. I'd rather have the teeth, for my needs.

/ What are the holes for? #5  
The edge is good for preventing bending of the bucket lip when (not if) you put too much load on it.

Put it on before you bend the lip, because it is very difficult to get one onto a bent lip.

Upon closer inspection, it already has a replacable cutting edge bolted on. I'd still like to have the teeth instead. Thanks for the education.