Tractor
    Massey ferguson 65

Default Restoring my MF 65

I am gonna start a restoration project on my tractor and I am wondering the best sander to use I am gonna purchase a grinder and a wire wheel to remove the rust

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 135 Diesel

Default Re: Restoring my MF 65

don't forget to purchase a mask, some of the older paints had lead in them, you do not want to breath that into your lungs. And even if it did not have lead in the paint do you want to coat the insides of your lungs with old paint? have fun with the restore! The old tractors have great charactor and look awesome restored.
    Billy

Tractor
    Massey ferguson 65

Quote Originally Posted by Mur386
    don't forget to purchase a mask, some of the older paints had lead in them, you do not want to breath that into your lungs. And even if it did not have lead in the paint do you want to coat the insides of your lungs with old paint? have fun with the restore! The old tractors have great charactor and look awesome restored.
    Billy
    Thanks for the mask idea I forgot about that what sander would be better an orbital or a belt

Tractor
    JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA

Quote Originally Posted by claytonmesker View Post
    I am gonna start a restoration project on my tractor and I am wondering the best sander to use I am gonna purchase a grinder and a wire wheel to remove the rust
    If you need anything while restoring, we maybe able to help with some parts. Ken Sweet
    http://www.sweetfarms.com/

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC (Internet Sales, Shipping All States)
    Shipping Facility
    1815 Defries Rd., Canmer, Ky 42722 Toll Free 1-866-528-3323
    Ken Sweet sweet@scrtc.com

Shipping Example: Can ship 800 lbs from Ky. to Dallas for $165
    The Northeast shipping corridor is a little more expensive.

Tractor
    Massey ferguson 65

Quote Originally Posted by sweettractors

If you need anything while restoring, we maybe able to help with some parts. Ken Sweet
    Where are you located and do you have a website or anything

Tractor
    MF 135 Z134 Continental, MF 1660 Cab

Thanks for the mask idea I forgot about that what sander would be better an orbital or a belt
    Orbital sander is what you need. Stay away from grinding if at all possible. A small palm sander and some of the sponge pads with med grit on one side and coarse on the other (I found them handy for the crooks and crannys).

You don't need to spend a lot of money on a sander, 20 - 30 dollars will buy you what you need, unless you plan to take up restoring old vehicles as a hobby, then you would want to consider more expensive pneumatic tools.

You'll have fun and get to know your tractor pretty well.

A few pics of mine after getting a little TLC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -mf-135-014-jpg   -mf-135-013-jpg   -mf-135-009-jpg  

Tractor
    JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA

Where are you located and do you have a website or anything
    Our website is Sweet Farm Equipment Co.,Disc Mowers, Compact Tractors,Implements, Ship Nationwide Daily however, most of what you may need may not be on there. if you have a need, just give us a call or email; Ken Sweet
    http://www.sweetfarms.com/

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC (Internet Sales, Shipping All States)
    Shipping Facility
    1815 Defries Rd., Canmer, Ky 42722 Toll Free 1-866-528-3323
    Ken Sweet sweet@scrtc.com

Shipping Example: Can ship 800 lbs from Ky. to Dallas for $165
    The Northeast shipping corridor is a little more expensive.

Tractor
    Massey ferguson 65

Quote Originally Posted by Mike476

Orbital sander is what you need. Stay away from grinding if at all possible. A small palm sander and some of the sponge pads with med grit on one side and coarse on the other (I found them handy for the crooks and crannys).

You don't need to spend a lot of money on a sander, 20 - 30 dollars will buy you what you need, unless you plan to take up restoring old vehicles as a hobby, then you would want to consider more expensive pneumatic tools.

You'll have fun and get to know your tractor pretty well.

A few pics of mine after getting a little TLC.
    That's a good lookin tractor what do you think about sandblasting the sheet metal it has alot of rust I am kinda worried about pitting I want it to look as good as it did the day my great grandpa bought

Tractor
    MF 135 Z134 Continental, MF 1660 Cab

You could sandblast all the skins if you want to, it would save you some work. I don't know how badly yours is rusted. Mine was owned by a poultry farmer so it had it's share of rust too. I didn't bother taking the smaller dings out of mine, although I did have to pound out the nose quite a bit, I think whoever owned it before me practiced rolling stops against whatever was in front of him

The paint I used was left over from my painting my 04 Ram, poppy red. It's a pretty close match to the MF red, especially on the newer tractors (my neighbour just bought a 1528). I don't know that I would have gone through the expense of buying base/clear coat if I didn't have the paint leftover to do it but I'm glad I did, the clear coat is a very tough finish. I've rattled chains on the deck lid and around the fenders without so much as a scratch.

Good luck, post some pics as you make your way through the restoration.

Tractor
    TC 30 Newholland

A palm sander works great, sand blasting will do a great job an remove any rust, after sand blasting treat the blasted area with acid it will kill any remaining. then prime an wet sand an fill any holes an re-prime, an finish paint. if your just going for a clean look sand blast prime an paint.Good luck an enjoy your restoration.
    Army grunt
    "Be who you are, say what you will, those that matter wont mind, those that mind don't matter".