massey 461 first review

/ massey 461 first review #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
Well got to try the tractor out for the first time this week and man its nice. The 201 perkins engine is so smooth and the low end grunt is amazing. I've ran a few of the new compact tractors that must run high rpm for power and there's no comparison. My 461 can actually idle and run in the upper gears without stalling. Thing is like a mini bulldozer. Guess that's the result of long stroke and big bore engine. Anyway its very maneuverable and the MWFD is awesome. The operator area is a little tight for big guys but not too bad. Overall its a very well built and heavy tractor unlike the new disposable Kubota type compacts. This is definitely one worth rebuilding after its normal wear life is over. I do have a issue with the used Massey 1055 loader as it has no down force but looking into how to fix that issue now.

/ massey 461 first review #2  
Well got to try the tractor out for the first time this week and man its nice. The 201 perkins engine is so smooth and the low end grunt is amazing. I've ran a few of the new compact tractors that must run high rpm for power and there's no comparison. My 461 can actually idle and run in the upper gears without stalling. Thing is like a mini bulldozer. Guess that's the result of long stroke and big bore engine. Anyway its very maneuverable and the MWFD is awesome. The operator area is a little tight for big guys but not too bad. Overall its a very well built and heavy tractor unlike the new disposable Kubota type compacts. This is definitely one worth rebuilding after its normal wear life is over. I do have a issue with the used Massey 1055 loader as it has no down force but looking into how to fix that issue now.

Does the tractor have a combining valve on it??

Glad to hear you are happy.

df.

/ massey 461 first review #3  

Hello there Sawtooth
Thanks for posting your review on that MF 461.Hope you get your issue resolved with your loader.Maybe look under search here on TBN and find solution.
If I may ask you a question :Which disposable Kubota type compacts are you refering to?Because I own a Kubota and I was hoping its not on your list. :)
Boone

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 389
   / massey 461 first review
Not sure what a combing if you can explain I will look. Sorry but first loader I've personally owned. Ran a few but didn't work on the mechanicals. Thanks

Now as for Kubota its probably one of the best quality fit and finish tractors I've seen. Haven't tried the 60 plus hp units but the smaller ones are good light tractors for easy transportation. However that benefit has a negative side by not being as structurally strong. Kubota also uses high revving engines which I don't personally care for but they are well made. I come from the old school of thought that likes low revving high torque motors with tons of lugging power. Anyway it depends on what you need and like. Besides all manufactures now make the lighter compact style tractor and Kubota may just make the best of those style of tractors. By the way my PTO speed is 1800 but my friends are 2800 on the Deere 990 and Kubota MX5100 I believe. Either way both work its just what you like.

/ massey 461 first review #5  
Not sure what a combing if you can explain I will look. Sorry but first loader I've personally owned. Ran a few but didn't work on the mechanicals. Thanks

Now as for Kubota its probably one of the best quality fit and finish tractors I've seen. Haven't tried the 60 plus hp units but the smaller ones are good light tractors for easy transportation. However that benefit has a negative side by not being as structurally strong. Kubota also uses high revving engines which I don't personally care for but they are well made. I come from the old school of thought that likes low revving high torque motors with tons of lugging power. Anyway it depends on what you need and like. Besides all manufactures now make the lighter compact style tractor and Kubota may just make the best of those style of tractors. By the way my PTO speed is 1800 but my friends are 2800 on the Deere 990 and Kubota MX5100 I believe. Either way both work its just what you like.

Page 15, picture on the right, was an option on your tractor. You can combine the flow of both pumps for loader work.

http://http://www.masseyferguson.com/agco/mf/NA/Tractors/MF400/MF_400Series_Brochure.pdf

df.

That may be the issue on the speed of the loader, thanks. I don't think its hooked up that way though which may be why its slower than expected. I will have that option added later though. So if you combine the flow what do you loose? I'm assuming the option of running a hydraulic implement in the rear right?

Now how to fix the no downward force issue with the loader. Anyone with an idea?

/ massey 461 first review #7  
That may be the issue on the speed of the loader, thanks. I don't think its hooked up that way though which may be why its slower than expected. I will have that option added later though. So if you combine the flow what do you loose? I'm assuming the option of running a hydraulic implement in the rear right?

Now how to fix the no downward force issue with the loader. Anyone with an idea?

Yeah, if you combine, you loose the rear hydraulics.

Keep us posted on the downpressure.

Any warranty left??

df.

Ok when you say loose its only the remotes right? If this is the case then that's good for me but if its the lift too then that sucks.

/ massey 461 first review #9  
Ok when you say loose its only the remotes right? If this is the case then that's good for me but if its the lift too then that sucks.

No, you lose the lift. It's actually designed to increase flow to the remotes for implements that require it, it cuts the lift out of the system and diverts it's flow to the remotes. The front end loader takes it's feed from the same system that powers the remotes so if you turn on the combiner valve you'll gain more flow to both your loader and your remotes.

Well that's not good for me. However no big deal just use it as is. For the guys that have a lot of loader experience does the 461 have good flow for loader work? Just curious if the 461 has slower than average flow or good flow. Maybe I have another issue if the loader should be pretty quick. I've used Deere 990 and couple kubotas in past that seemed quicker. Thank you