Shifter On 65

/ Shifter On 65 #1  

day52

Tractor
NH TCD33A
I have the shifter hung up on my gas 65. Is there an easy fix?

/ Shifter On 65 #2  
It's been awhile since I owned my Perkins 65. I used to reach into the tranny with long screwdrivers and unscramble the gears. Dealer said to whack the shifter down to help prevent re-occurance. I used to do it- it works. This is all from memory, so proceed with caution.

/ Shifter On 65 #3  
If you lift up the rubber boot [if yours still has it] on the shifter rod.Look at the housing and you should see a pin that you can drive out with a punch.When your doing this remeber when you pull the punch back out the shifter rod will jump out as its spring loaded.Once you have the shift rod out you'll beable to line up the slide rails both in the center and it'll be in netural.To keep this from reaccuring one fix is to add a bit of weld onto the end of the shift rod[the end that moves the slide rails] don't add to much as it won't shift.Larry.

/ Shifter On 65 #4  
I had the same problem. By taking off the shifter boot and pin like "Massey Driver" suggested, and also taking out the filler plug (right beside the shifter on my 65) I was able to free up the linkage by putting a screw driver in and wiggling the linkage while wiggling the shifter. Good luck.
P.S. I'm told if you push down on the shifter when changing gears this is less likely to occur)

/ Shifter On 65
Thanks guys--saved me a lot of time/money or both.