MF 240 Question

/ MF 240 Question #1  

jgriswol538802

Looked at a MF 240 today in north Georgia. The engine cranked right away, no smoke, idled and accelerated very well. The sheet metal looks good and the paint is in good shape although it is almost certainly not original. The tires are in good shape, with good tread and no weathering to speak of. Those were all good things.

I have questions about the following:

1) There was fluid coming down the steering column. It seemed to be coming from the top. This does have power steering. Any suggestions for the cause and how difficult the fix might be?

2) The brakes were somewhaty effective in forward, although there was a fair amount of squealing/scraping when stopping. They were almost non-functional in reverse and wouldn't stop me from rolling back down an incline. Since most of my property is not level this is a concern :). Could this be a result of rust on the brake surfaces from lack of use or more likely worn brakes? How difficult is it to do a brake job on this tractor?

3) The lift seemed to work okay, but when I let the 2-stage clutch out part way the lift would jump up about 2 inches and I also noticed a slapping sound that started at the same point. Is this normal or an indication that the hydraulic pump is on it's way out?

4) Asking price is $7500 with tractor, bush hog, scrape blade, and dirt pan. Is this in the ballpark?

Thanks for any input.

/ MF 240 Question #2  
Price seems a little high to me. It would help to know what the year and hours were.

As far as the brakes go....That is as good as they get on these tractors!!!

/ MF 240 Question
I am not sure of the year. I did not write down the serial number. It was preceded by the number 2773, but I don't have the rest of the numbers. The hours are about 850. The tach and hour meter appeared very clean for that age tractor so who knows if it is original.

Any idea on the steering leak?

/ MF 240 Question #4  
I have a '97 235.
The steering on these tractors is 'Hydraulic Assist', not a proper power steering as in a car.
The steering shaft the steering wheel connects to has a grease fitting on it, that is located a few inches above the top of the transmission, peering at you through the covering sheet metal, this would be in a straight line down from the steering wheel.
It is important to shoot a couple of pumps of grease in there like every other time you use the tractor, or at the start of a session of use, if it's been a while since the last use.
Keeping that shaft full of grease, coupled with some warm weather, can cause melted grease (oil?) to ooze out the top of the steering wheel shaft during use.
Was the apparent leakage a little, or a lot?
A little is as above, a lot would indicate another problem.
I believe there is a grease seal at the top of the steering shaft, it can be replaced fairly easily and affordable.
If the steering seemed normal when you drove it, it's probably not a problem.

A small issue with these models is the steering pump.
If you buy the tractor, be sure to keep the steering pump properly full of fluid.
If it's ran low of fluid for even a relative short period of time, the pump will wear excessively and the tractor will steer hard, especially at very slow speeds.
Replacement pumps can be found for about $400 off the internet, plus shipping.
The steering pump is easy enough to replace, however, requires removing the starter to get a enough room to remove the pump.
If the pump is low of fluid, or has been replaced, it is necessary to 'purge air from the steering system' after filling.
This is accomplished by raising the front wheels off the ground (hope it has a FEL (Front End Loader), that makes it real easy), fill the pump to the proper level, start the engine, turn the steering wheel to both extremes (left and right) several times, then center the front wheels.
Turn off the engine, check the fluid level in the steering pump, top off as necessary and repeat, until the level stays at full.
Check around the steering hoses and cylinders for leaks.
Repair as necessary.
Hope this helps.

/ MF 240 Question #5  
I had a 231 that when a new clutch was put in developed a terrible leak. It would leak about a cup of fluid every 5-6 hrs of use. I finally got tired of it a decided to fix. the 2 lines from the pump connect on the badkside of steering box. One fitting was loose, but not by much. One wrench and a pipe for leverage and it was fixed. Sure was messy when it was leaking. Hope this helps.

/ MF 240 Question #6  
I know this is an older thread, but here's some helpful info for the next guy seeking these answers.

The older 240 (hydraulic power steering system)has a 2-piece power steering control valve loacted on the steering shaft (under the dash sheet metal and gauge cluster). It controls the power assist by sending pressure to the left or right steering cylinder based on which way the steering wheel is turned (it is articulated by a push rod under the steering wheel). If it is ever damaged or the internal seal/hose connections fail it will leak the way the OP described. When I got my '88 240, that control valve leaked from impact damage due to the front wheels hitting something hard, jerking the steering wheel when it was nearly in full lock causing the piston inside to nearly bust out the end retaining cap (just my theory as it was done by the previous owner). I had to replace it, they are $500 new and they are not offered at rebuilt prices.

The newer 240's have a hydrostatic power steering system, and I'm not sure if they have the same control valve design. I'm also not sure what year MF switched them over to hydrostatic either, but it was after 1988 since mine has the older hydraulic system.

Also, never back down an incline with the tractor out of gear (in neutral), in hi-range reverse, or with the clutch disengaged, or you will take a wild garden wild. The tractor's low-range reverse gearing will only allow it to go but so fast which the brakes can easily stop.

Last edited: