GC2310TLB Hydraulic Filter Stripped

/ GC2310TLB Hydraulic Filter Stripped #1  

wbrooks

Tractor
Massey GC2310TLB
I got a nasty surprise last week when I went to change my hydraulic oil and filter. I drained the oil and changed the filter, when I tried to tighten the filter I could not even get half a turn from seal contact before the threads let go. When I pulled the filter I noticed that the aluminum stud that the filter threads onto was stripped, I found my missing aluminum threads in the steel threads of the old oil filter (installed by dealer). When I went to my dealer they had a solution for me and said that this was common but was usually the result of something contacting the oil filter (stick, stone etc).
The solution is easy enough but somewhat nerve wracking however if you screw up you end up back to where you were before you started which is replacing the front panel of the rear end for $~500 (part cost).
The solution is to order a pipe joint from Kubota! The P/N is 15241-32290. One end is M18X1.5 and the other fits the hydraulic oil filter. Now for the nerve wracking part - Cut off the aluminum filter nipple as close as possible to the flange, I used a Dremil with a fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheel. Drill out the existing hole to 21/32". You drill it about 1" deep (mark the bit with tape), you will know when you are deep enough when you see the hole open into the oil cavity behind the nipple. The top of the hole will be into the cavity the bottom will have metal left over - this will be obvious as you drill. Remember to coat the bit with grease so you pull out most of the chips. It is critical to drill the hole as square as possible, too much of an angle and the filter will not sit square enough to seal. I eye balled it and it worked, no fancy tools required. You should now make sure that any remaining nipple is shaved off even with the back plane, I used a sharp wood chissel, works fine on aluminum. Next you tap the hole, I used a 4 flute tap. Once all the metal debris creating steps are done you should pull the caps off the oil filter chambers (allen head caps to the left of the filter). The upper one is 6mm the lower is 8mm allen - there is a spring behind the lower one), flush out with brake clean. Now screw in the Kubota nipple using high temperature red loktite on the threads. You can tighten the nipple using a 24mm socket. Screw on the new filter, fill with oil, modify the existing shield to encase the oil filter ( prevent anything from hitting it in the future) and you are done. I realize that pictures would really help this description but I was not thinking of posting this while I was doing the job.

/ GC2310TLB Hydraulic Filter Stripped #2  
Had you asked, we could have told you about that.

Before there was a filter shield, filters were broken off frequently.

That was when those of us who were on TBN at the Time, found out about the Kubota fix.

Kubota was apparently having the same problem.

/ GC2310TLB Hydraulic Filter Stripped #3  
I am in the process of this same repair. When you "pulled off the caps of the oil filter chambers" with allen wrenches, did you notice that your's had a small weld holding them in place? Mine do, and I'm a little worried about breaking them and not getting them back on as securely as they were. I guess I could wipe a little JB weld on the after, but wasn't sure if this was a good idea. Thoughts?

/ GC2310TLB Hydraulic Filter Stripped #4  
Sorry, you probably won't get a response from the O.P.

This thread is ten years old, and he only posted 3 times.

Hopefully, someone will see it though and provide you with an answer.

You could try sending a private message to loulblades, he has done a similar repair: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/members/loulblades/

It would be great for the rest of us, if you let us know how the job works out.