MF 205-4 No glow light.

/ MF 205-4 No glow light. #1  

rocks2769

Tractor
massey fergusson 205-4
First off new to the site and I'd like to say thanks in advance for any help with my questions. I did post up in the new member section first.
1. I've had my MF 205-4 for 10 years now and never had any problems until this year. My glow plug light( actually glow wire) no longer heats up and the tractor is very hard to start. Don't know what controls it. Could it be the glow plugs, the ignition switch, relay? I have know idea where to start looking. Checked the fuses and they were good. New battery also.
2. I don't think the tractor is charging anymore. I know the hard to start problem uses alot of my battery up. The tractor once started runs perfect but if I run the lights it slowly kills the battery and after 10 starts or so I need to recharge the battery. I took the gen off this morning and dropped it off at a local alt shop and they checked it and said its good. He said it should have a rectifier and a regulator or one unit that does both. What would that part look like?
After I get this stuff worked out I plan to replace some cosmetic stuff like lights and misc things. Would love to find some more attachments to.
Thanks again.
Bryan

/ MF 205-4 No glow light. #2  
Welcome Rocks!
Sorry I don't have enough knowledge/experience to answer your problem, but seems like when I got my tractor (a month ago) someone explained those exact symptoms when XXXXXX goes bad...darn my memory that I can't recall what exactly or in general they were talking about. I'll try to ask the guys that were around when all the mf mayhem was goin on here ;) Seems like whoever was talking about it was pointing at something in the general area of the plugs or a line near there?... I may be completely wrong though. The rest of the guys (&gals) on this board are more handy than I am yet though so hopefully they can give you some better help!

/ MF 205-4 No glow light.
Ok thanks. Hope to hear back.

/ MF 205-4 No glow light. #4  
Have u used a testlight to see if u have power at the glow glugs, and have you check the cables at the batery to make shur they are clen and getting good conection

I do get power to the glow plugs and the bridge that connects the two but the glow plug squiggly light still doesn't glow red like it used to.

/ MF 205-4 No glow light. #6  
How do you know you're getting power to the GP's? Are you confirming that when you hit the ignition for GP's, current is actually flowing to them?

My 1010 uses a bulb, not a wire, to indicate the GP's are in use, but I'd bet a low battery would prevent that wire, and the GP's, from glowing.

I recommend you get a fresh battery, then work back from the GP's until you find the issue with them, if there is one. But you may just have a charging problem as noted in the earlier post.

I would like to say thanks to everyone that has posted up to help out.:thumbsup:
The battery is less than 10 mo old and I would think if that was my problem wouldn't the glow plug light ect work when a batt charger is hooked up? Just tested them with a test light when I glow plugged them with the ignition.
This weekend I took the dash off and cleaned all the connections and a removed a mouse nest. :)
Found some bad connections for the rear lights and the horn. Fixed them all up. Removed the two glow plugs and ordered new ones $9 each. Very hard to read the numbers but after some time I got 2 diff #'s off. They say NGK 7810 (no idea what the 7810 is) and Y122 on the other side. The only thing I could find a listing for was NGK Y122. Should see the new ones by tomorrow.
Now. Trying to find the voltage regulator is a diff story. I had no luck finding the same one anywhere. So I am pitching it and the generator also. Going with a kubota alt with a built in reg. That should cure any future problems. It will fit nice and if I figure out how to post pics I will do so after I get it all together.
On a super cool note. I picked up a free 6 foot lightweight snow plow for it. Gonna be building up a new front bumper with extra lights. I will post up the build.
Thanks again and I will post up soon.

Still don't have the glow plugs. good thing i paid extra for 3 day shipping.:mad:
Installed the alt last night had to grind 1/2 inch from the lower mount but fits very nice.
Here's the alt I used.

Attachments

• 12-2 097.jpg
    12-2 097.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 261
Well still no glow plugs.:mad: After sitting on the phone this morning I found out they don't stock the GP's. So I wouldn't get them until Dec 20th. I canceled the order and found them somewhere else. So glad the emailed or called me to let me know.:mad::mad:
I enjoyed putting it all back together last night. the alt looks :cool:
Can't wait till its finished.

/ MF 205-4 No glow light. #10  
Here's how I tested my GP's.

Ground one by laying it on a piece of steel; I used the tongue of my trailer. Attach positive battery charger lead to the top of the GP, where the wire would be attached. Attach the negative elsewhere on the steel, so current will flow through the GP to it. Plug in battery charger and see if the GP actually glows. It may take 10-15 seconds for it to start glowing. If that doesn't work, the GP is no good.

Good luck with it and let us know outcome.