Inherited MF 35 Diesel & Kubota B6000

/ Inherited MF 35 Diesel & Kubota B6000 #1  

GrecoPool

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 35 Diesel
I've never owned a tractor in my life and now I own two. A MF 35 Diesel and a Kubota B6000. The Kubota is out of commission and will have to stay sitting on the flatbed until I can get it fixed. But the MF works great. Any tips anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm totally clueless. At least I also inherited the owners manual with it.

One problem, the drive shaft for my brush hog keeps coming off the PTO when it's rotating at high speeds. I have it set to engine rotate and if I pick up the speed, the shaft falls off. Is there some way that I'm supposed to be keeping the shaft onto the back side of the tractor?

Like I said, any comments are welcome!

/ Inherited MF 35 Diesel & Kubota B6000 #2  
Drive shafts are cut to length for the equipment and the tractor. If someone cut the shaft too short you would have that problem. There are articles on pto shaft measuring on the site that I have seen in th epast two weeks.

/ Inherited MF 35 Diesel & Kubota B6000 #4  
One problem, the drive shaft for my brush hog keeps coming off the PTO when it's rotating at high speeds. I have it set to engine rotate and if I pick up the speed, the shaft falls off. Is there some way that I'm supposed to be keeping the shaft onto the back side of the tractor?
Sounds like your locking pin isnt working. See http://www.nstmop.psu.edu/tasksheets/5.4 Making PTO Connections.pdf or Implement Alley Discussion Board - Need replacement PTO shaft locking pin. for some examples of how different shafts lock and how to fix them when they dont.

Aaron Z

/ Inherited MF 35 Diesel & Kubota B6000 #5  
What is wrong with the Kubota? I ask this as I believe the above posts will solve your PTO problem. Becareful when lowering your bushog with this condition. Have had the PTO shaft slip off- but not completely. Bent the shaft coming out of the tractor.

Last edited:
   / Inherited MF 35 Diesel & Kubota B6000
2458n said:
What is wrong with the Kubota? I ask this as I believe the above posts will solve your PTO problem. Becareful when lowering your bushog with this condition. Have had the PTO shaft slip off- but not completely. Bent the shaft coming out of the tractor.

I took the Kubota to Zimmerer and they didn't know exactly what was wrong with it but they sure did know how to charge me! They charged me for a new battery $100, and then another $200 for 2 hours of labor. They ran a compression test and told me that it is only getting 100 psi of pressure. They recommended changing the injectors but they couldn't guarantee that would fix it. Also needed to replace the rings as that they are stuck. I hear really good things about the B6000 about how it was the first Kubota to come to the US. And I know about the reverse PTO but I already have implements to fit it. Also, another unique thing is that it has a front end loader. I understand that my dad used that front end loader for a ton of stuff and it can come in handy. So I'll probably bite the bullet next year and spend the money to get it restored. But I'm still keeping an eye out for something similar on ebay.

/ Inherited MF 35 Diesel & Kubota B6000 #7  
I took the Kubota to Zimmerer and they didn't know exactly what was wrong with it but they sure did know how to charge me! They charged me for a new battery $100, and then another $200 for 2 hours of labor. They ran a compression test and told me that it is only getting 100 psi of pressure. They recommended changing the injectors but they couldn't guarantee that would fix it. Also needed to replace the rings as that they are stuck. I hear really good things about the B6000 about how it was the first Kubota to come to the US. And I know about the reverse PTO but I already have implements to fit it. Also, another unique thing is that it has a front end loader. I understand that my dad used that front end loader for a ton of stuff and it can come in handy. So I'll probably bite the bullet next year and spend the money to get it restored. But I'm still keeping an eye out for something similar on ebay.
!00 lbs of compression is bad for a car, but is real bad for a diesel engine.
Diesel engines run about 250 lbs. of compression(they compress the fuel for ignition, a car uses spark).
If it were mine, I would make a concoction of transmission fluid and kerosene, and put some into the cylinders every day for 2 weeks, and turn it over several times per day(most times that will loosen the rings).
If that worked, I would have the injectors 'checked' before I replaced them.
But I come from a mechanical background.
Hope this helps

/ Inherited MF 35 Diesel & Kubota B6000 #8  
!00 lbs of compression is bad for a car, but is real bad for a diesel engine.
Diesel engines run about 250 lbs. of compression(they compress the fuel for ignition, a car uses spark).
250PSI? In a Diesel? Only if the engine is on its last legs. Most diesel engines that I have worked on (old VW and Volvo engines) spec 300-550PSI with 400-450PSI being "good"

Aaron Z

aczlan said:
Sounds like your locking pin isnt working. See http://www.nstmop.psu.edu/tasksheets/5.4%20Making%20PTO%20Connections.pdf or Implement Alley Discussion Board - Need replacement PTO shaft locking pin. for some examples of how different shafts lock and how to fix them when they dont.

Aaron Z

I think you may be right. I think it's the locking pin. Im going out there today to set up a deer stand and an animal camera so I'll check that. Thanks so much for your comments. Very very helpful!

All comments are greatly appreciated! Everything everybody has posted is VERY helpful! I had no idea that one had to size their shafts to fit their different implements! This is all very new to me!