2360 Electric Chute Deflector Frozen

/ 2360 Electric Chute Deflector Frozen
The MF replacement was quoted at $520+ when I asked if there had been any failures. I seem to remember seeing a post where someone had used a salvaged automobile window actuator.

/ 2360 Electric Chute Deflector Frozen #13  
Jaylegger said:
Hi,

I had the same problems with my 2360's electric deflector actuator, drove me crazy. When mounted per the factory method water leaks down to the gears through the shaft which obviously doesn't have much of a seal and then freezes solid. You'll need to take the casing off the gear end of the actuator and dry it out, re-grease and install the unit upside down. There are some minor clearance issues in this orientation which are easily fixed with some spacers. I've had no problems since.

These items are what I would consider pretty much pure profit for the dealer. Considering the cost I was very disappointed the actuators aren't even sourced to operate in the conditions of the intended purpose.

I had the same issue, except the motor shaft had froze itself to the hub. a little twist with pliers freed it up. Drained out all the water and relubed. Installed upside down, and also wrapped it in a plastic bag to seal it up. Very poor design, this actuator is not made for this type of application.

/ 2360 Electric Chute Deflector Frozen
I think that most of us that have tractors are mechanically knowledgable and fix a simple problem like this without complaining. Since we have had 2 people responding to this thread that have also experianced failures there might be a much larger problem with the actuator. I'm passing the info on to my dealer and hopefully it will get back to MF for consideration. For the price paid you would expect an actuator that was more weather resistant. I know I balked at paying that much for electric chute controls. I added on the chute controls a month after ordering the thrower and a lot of thought.

/ 2360 Electric Chute Deflector Frozen #15  
For the price paid you would expect an actuator that was more weather resistant. I know I balked at paying that much for electric chute controls. I added on the chute controls a month after ordering the thrower and a lot of thought.

Though an easy fix It's very disappointing MF put very little thought into the system. My electrical connectors are equally shameful, non weather tight meant for high and dry installations. I'll never forget my first impression when I viewed the package, no dinner or anything first. I'm glad I have the controls and they work well but considering the price it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth which a year later still kinda bugs me.

I, like you, balked at first as well but then had the kit installed prior to the first snowfall. I couldn't imagine blowing my area with a semi-fixed deflector. Now if I could install some remote shoe adjusters I'd be all set. Ideally the chute rotation would be quicker too, perhaps I can finda more powerful, higher geared motor for it.

/ 2360 Electric Chute Deflector Frozen #16  
I had the same issue, except the motor shaft had froze itself to the hub. a little twist with pliers freed it up. Drained out all the water and relubed. Installed upside down, and also wrapped it in a plastic bag to seal it up. Very poor design, this actuator is not made for this type of application.

I've been looking for some accordion type boots but the smallest I can find are for 18" actuators used for satellite dishes. I would think using a balloon (those long extended one) could be used effectively to cover to prevent water/salt contamination.

/ 2360 Electric Chute Deflector Frozen #17  
My deflector was frozen once last year when I was going to start snowblowing, :mad:. I took my heat gun or a small electric heater, :confused:, cannot remember but it only took about 5 minutes to unfreeze it and it worked fine after that. I agree with Jaylegger, some sort of small shock or strut rubber boot to cover this area, :thumbsup:. KC :D :D :D

/ 2360 Electric Chute Deflector Frozen #18  
I asked my dealer for it...he virtually refused to sell it to me. Too many problems. Probably tired of people coming in and complaining about it. I wish the chute rotation was built into the hydraulics though. Lame that it is not. The electric works but the extra switch is annoying to operate when using the machine.

/ 2360 Electric Chute Deflector Frozen #19  
Just for information purposes I'll post the brand of deflector actuator and specs included in my kit.

Make: Thomson
Pr#: S12-17A8-05
Stroke: 5"
Actuator Type: Rod Type
Actuation: Electrical
Rated dynamic force: 75 lbs
Rated Speed: 1.00 in/sec
Operating Temperature: -13 to 149 F
Drive Configuration: Lead Screw
Mounting Method: Clevis Mount

It looks like this actuator is from Thomsons Electrak 1 (SP) line of actuators.

/ 2360 Electric Chute Deflector Frozen #20  
Interesting, Jaylegger-- same number on mine (stamped on shaft): S12-17A8-05.

However on mine, indication on bottom of motor/gearbox is "Warner Electric," of which Warner Linear is a subsidiary. :confused:

It still seems to work OK-- even after a heavy workout as a result of our storm on 12/27-- but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Attachments

• blower linear actuator number.JPG
    blower linear actuator number.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 184