2360 Electric Chute Deflector Frozen

/ 2360 Electric Chute Deflector Frozen #1  

AMCS

Bronze Member
I've been having a problem with my 2yr old 2360 electric chute deflector freezing up when the temperature drops below freezing. When the temp rises above freezing it works again. Contacted my MF dealer service tech and he is calling MF to see if they have any history of failure. The tractor is kept under cover when not in use, thrower is stored inside the garage when not installed. I live in a low humidity area so any water intrusion would have to be from blowback while throwing snow. Anyone else had this problem or come up with a fix?

/ 2360 Electric Chute Deflector Frozen
The tech called back today and said MF had no record of failures. He suggested making a shroud over it or mounting it upside down (both ideas I had already had).

/ 2360 Electric Chute Deflector Frozen #3  
What exactly is freezing, the chute itself or the actuator? Spraying liberally with Fluid Film may be a cure for both.

Sorry I wasn't clear, it sounded right in my head. The actuator is freezing and will not operate. I assume the seal on the actuator has failed and water is inside the actuator. Disassembly and lubrication seems to be my best bet if water is actually the problem.

/ 2360 Electric Chute Deflector Frozen #5  
Hi,

I had the same problems with my 2360's electric deflector actuator, drove me crazy. When mounted per the factory method water leaks down to the gears through the shaft which obviously doesn't have much of a seal and then freezes solid. You'll need to take the casing off the gear end of the actuator and dry it out, re-grease and install the unit upside down. There are some minor clearance issues in this orientation which are easily fixed with some spacers. I've had no problems since.

These items are what I would consider pretty much pure profit for the dealer. Considering the cost I was very disappointed the actuators aren't even sourced to operate in the conditions of the intended purpose.

/ 2360 Electric Chute Deflector Frozen #6  
When you say "chute deflector" that's the linear actuator that controls the top of the chute, yes?

So far I've had no problems with it --that I've noticed-- but that sounds like it could become an issue pretty easily; thanks for the tip!

One thing I do after blowing is to park the beast in the driveway facing the sun (assuming there is some...) to melt off any accumulations before putting it away. As my 2360 is black, if there's any sun at all, it melts off & dries pretty quickly.

My 2360 is about to enter its 4th winter; tractor now has about 190 hrs. Looks like it may get some work this weekend....

Attachments

• blower linear actuator.JPG
    blower linear actuator.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 436
Yes, the chute deflector linear actuator that controls the deflection of the top of the chute. The chute rotater has worked flawlessly. I noticed this problem last season but it was a light snow season and only used the thrower 3 times. The first season was a heavy use season much as this season seems to be shaping up to be. Thanks for the tip and I will be mounting my actuator upside down. I'll also pass it on to my friend who just bought his 2360

/ 2360 Electric Chute Deflector Frozen #8  
After doing some investigation and some research on the computer, I sent an email to the company that makes the linear actuator this morning and have recieved a reply already!

A fellow from Warner Electric is getting back to me; I need to get him some numbers off the unit....

It certainly looks like the rubber seal on the actuator can be replaced, much like the seal on a motorcycle fork tube. That's what does the job of keeping crud --and moisture-- out of the gearbox below.

I'll keep everyone posted as to the results-- maybe there's a repair that can prevent freeze-ups.

Here's hoping!:)

We had a warm day today so after lubricating the chain I pulled the chute deflection actuator for disassembly. Removed the 4 downward facing allen screws around the actuator and the one upward facing screw pointing twoard the motor. The bottom case came off easily and was filled with water. No gears popped or fell out. Cleaned and lubricated the gears, Turned the actuator upside down and wiggled the shaft for water to drain out of the actuator itself. Reinstalled bottom case. I didn't think I had enough wiring to install the actuator upside down so made a sheath out of a Foodsaver bag to fit over the shaft of the actuator sealed at the top and extending about an inch over the base when fully extending the actuator. Bag finished size apx 7" by 2". Reinstalled and tested, worked great. It's kind of a redneck fix but was easy and works to keep snow/water off the shaft.

/ 2360 Electric Chute Deflector Frozen #10  
Well, the news wasn't good... apparently, the actuator used on my 2007 #2360 blower --and possibly others?-- is an "obsolete model, no parts available." The fellow from Warner Electric advised me where to look for its number, and what it would look like.

The "-05" at the end of the number signifies a special order stroke length of 5"; standard is 2, 4, or 6" stroke. The number was stamped onto the side of the shaft.

He suggested the only solution would be to purchase a replacement linear actuator, but the cost? My best guess would be in the $250+ range. (!)

I did, however, find that on the "Warner Linear" website, the current-model light-duty acuators (M-Track) have a much different (and stronger-looking) upper bearing/seal. They also now come with an end-of-travel limit switch.

Glad mine seems to be still OK.... I'm liking the bag idea a lot!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• M-track info.pdf
    191.9 KB · Views: 268