Traction GC Chains, Wheel Weights, Wheel Spacers

/ GC Chains, Wheel Weights, Wheel Spacers #1  

FDuce

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF GC2410 TLB
I have several questions so I decided to lump them into one thread...

Question 1: Is anyone running tire chains on the front of their GC and if so did you buy or make them? I have some chains left over from a JD piece-o-crap "tractor" that are the right diameter but not the right width to fit on my front tires. I was going to narrow them up to make them work.

Question 2: Wheel weights-front and back-Where can I buy a set or do I have to make my own?

Question 2a: Filling tires, do you guys bother filling the front ones? Do you get tubes installed before filling?

Question 3: I am looking for some more stability. Does anyone make wheel spacers for the rear to set them out another 3"-5" or so?

My main issue is front traction. I need to pull logs up to my wood shed for splitting and when I latch on to one the front end gets light and makes it difficult to steer. I'd rather not put weight in the loader because I use it to pile up the logs once at the wood shed.

Thanks for any help!

/ GC Chains, Wheel Weights, Wheel Spacers #2  
I bought tire chains from my dealer. I'm doing snow removal, but so far haven't needed them (I don't have hills).

Couldn't you roll something heavy into your bucket, dump it out once you get to the woodshed, and then put back in for the next trip to get another log? I did this a lot this fall when needing to lift heavy rocks with the BH.

/ GC Chains, Wheel Weights, Wheel Spacers #3  
Hey FDuce, I use chains on all 4, and the fronts help alot with steering on the ice, :thumbsup:. Last year I purchased a set of rear wheel insert weight from Tirechains.com and you fill the plastic insert with concrete to add about 40 pounds to each tire. I do not know about filling the tires or wheel spacers. Good luck with your search, :thumbsup:. KC :D :D :D

Just a thought, if you put some hooks on the front bucket and pulled in reverse, would that help you, :confused: ?

/ GC Chains, Wheel Weights, Wheel Spacers #4  
I put water and antifreeze in my tires and use tubes. Can you turn ur tires around and swap sides to give you the 3" your wanting.

/ GC Chains, Wheel Weights, Wheel Spacers #5  
I have several questions so I decided to lump them into one thread...

Question 1: Is anyone running tire chains on the front of their GC and if so did you buy or make them? I have some chains left over from a JD piece-o-crap "tractor" that are the right diameter but not the right width to fit on my front tires. I was going to narrow them up to make them work.

Question 2: Wheel weights-front and back-Where can I buy a set or do I have to make my own?

Question 2a: Filling tires, do you guys bother filling the front ones? Do you get tubes installed before filling?

Question 3: I am looking for some more stability. Does anyone make wheel spacers for the rear to set them out another 3"-5" or so?

My main issue is front traction. I need to pull logs up to my wood shed for splitting and when I latch on to one the front end gets light and makes it difficult to steer. I'd rather not put weight in the loader because I use it to pile up the logs once at the wood shed.

Thanks for any help!

There should be a weight rack on the front, under the grille. This kind of stuff is what it's for.

If you use chains on the front, and the wheels can't slip, you can and will break stuff.

/ GC Chains, Wheel Weights, Wheel Spacers #6  
Any machine shop should beable to make you up wheel spacers just take a cardboard template or your rims with you so they can see what body spacing is etc: Let them know what width you want and they'll make them up for you.As for loading the tires lots of people have been using rim guard without using tubes as its not corrosive.Others have been using windshield washer fluid as well.Chains on the front would surely destroy stuff in the front end as there's a certain amount of lead in the front tires.in another words there always slipping a bit when engaged in 4x4.That would just put way to much stress on gears etc:Larry

/ GC Chains, Wheel Weights, Wheel Spacers #7  
spacers you mean like these :
Rear Wheel Spacers Kubota BX Series Tractor - eBay (item 120650637528 end time Dec-21-10 20:29:10 PST)

I am not sure of your bolt pattern, but the GC looks like a copycat of the BX so it wouldnt hurt to give thier company a call.

As for chains on front, you can modify it if needed, but do you really need chains in the front? I have chains for my rears, but only use it off trail in mud . I run barefoot in snow since I am always plowing in front anyways for where I need to go. If snow is only a foot deep or less and ground is solid, I just drive through barefoot in 4 wheel drive on turfs just fine.

/ GC Chains, Wheel Weights, Wheel Spacers #8  
I have a GC2300 with 70lb wheel weights & rear chains. I'm pondering getting fronts. I checked with our regional agco rep regarding the fronts. He didn't se a problem with using them. BTW tirechains.com is the way to go

/ GC Chains, Wheel Weights, Wheel Spacers
I have a GC2300 with 70lb wheel weights & rear chains. I'm pondering getting fronts. I checked with our regional agco rep regarding the fronts. He didn't se a problem with using them. BTW tirechains.com is the way to go

Did you get your wheel weights from the dealer? About how much were they if you don't mind me asking?

/ GC Chains, Wheel Weights, Wheel Spacers #10  
Did you get your wheel weights from the dealer? About how much were they if you don't mind me asking?

It's ben a few years, but I think I paid around $160 or so for them. They are 70 lbs each. And yes, I bought them from the dealer. But, I don't believe they are MF specific. So, you should be able to get them from any SCUT delaer, I suppose. I went this route so that I could remove them if neded during the summer.