Engine Block Heater Questions

/ Engine Block Heater Questions #1  

cdaigle430

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
Hi,
I accidentally left my heater plugged in overnight and the next morning found the engine to be hot but still touchable. Is there anything I should keep an eye out for when leaving it plugged in? I was just surprised at how hot it was.

/ Engine Block Heater Questions #2  
No harm no foul.

You just used up some energy which I'm sure will show up on the light bill.

The heaters are designed to reach a set temp and stay there.

Normally 2 hours or less of on time is all that is required.

Timers are a big help to avoid over usage.

/ Engine Block Heater Questions #4  
I've never heard of a block heater that shut off when the coolant temp reached a certain temp. When they are plugged in they are on. That being said, I have left them on for 36+ hrs and it's no problem. As long as it's cold out they can't overheat anything.

DEWFPO

/ Engine Block Heater Questions #5  
They seem too simple to have any sort of thermostat feature but they must be regulated in some way. It is more of an engery issue with me and the 19 dollar timer is a cheap fix.

/ Engine Block Heater Questions #6  
I use an HD time and a ThermoCube for the same reasons. The time only comes on for a hour or two and only if its cold enough for the ThermoCube. Saves a lot of energy.

DEWFPO

/ Engine Block Heater Questions #7  
I've never seen a block heater overheat, and I've been using them since I was old enough to plug in an extension cord. We use timers now, because electricity isn't free, but it's not uncommon around here to leave things plugged in 24/7 for days if a vehicle isn't in use.

/ Engine Block Heater Questions #8  
The local Pipeline operator has all kinds of equipment that is plugged in for "Oil Spill Response", and stays plugged in all winter. Guess oil companies can afford electricity. The heaters only last so long, and after several years they burn out. But it doesn't hurt the engine.

The rule of thumb here is after 2 hours the engine is as hot as it is going to get. And that running the engine with the block heater plugged in causes early failure due to air coming in contact with the element. The first statement is true, the shop i used to work at helped a local collage test it. The second one, well i just don't know

And it was 58 degrees below on the Yukon River yesterday morning. That is with out the wind!

/ Engine Block Heater Questions #9  
in the airconditioning field they have two types of crankcase heaters. the most common unregulated 100 watt bullet type, the other type thermistor will control to approx set point. i use the most common heater down the dip tube to the oil sump of my massey ferguson 1655. in zero temp it takes about ten mins & it will over heat if you dont remove it.