Massey Ferguson 35 Diesel Mystery

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Diesel Mystery #1  

Rod in Forfar

Platinum Member
Tractor
1960 Massey Ferguson 35 (Perkins), 1995 TAFE 35DI, 1980 Bolens G174, 2005 Kubota B7510, 2020 Kioti Mechron 2200ps UTV Troy-Bilt Horse 2 1988 Case IH 255 4WD with loader and cab
My old 1960 MF35 started up well enough in the cold, but it wouldn't rev up. I gave it more throttle but it wouldn't accelerate. Soon I noticed a cloud of dark smoke behind. It didn't improve, so I put it back in the garage.

Yesterday I needed the loader, and it was no better, though upon examination I discovered the intake tube from the air cleaner to the engine was collapsed. Almost no air was making it through the top spout.

I took off the bottom of the air cleaner. Full of ice. The engine ran normally with the air cleaner removed.

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Diesel Mystery #2  
I guess air and fuel is still required. :D

Do you know if it just pulled the moisture out of the air and froze or it was there all along?

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Diesel Mystery
Chances are the water accumulated over the course of a rainy fall. With three other tractors I don't use the 35 as much as I used to, and it spent the time outside when it usually rests in a barn. I suspect the rain trickled down the air cleaner horn and into the oil reservoir at the base. The bottom part was full to overflowing, about 1 1/2" up the pipe. Small wonder the thing wouldn't run properly after freeze-up.