GC 2400 Hard Starting

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #11  
Bought new GC2400 in September, first snow fall went to start and it wouldn't. Found if I jumped the tractor with a bigger cranking amp battery the engine turned over quicker and started right up

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #12  
Bought new GC2400 in September, first snow fall went to start and it wouldn't. Found if I jumped the tractor with a bigger cranking amp battery the engine turned over quicker and started right up

Don, bad battery, low battery, or it is just undersized for the demand at cold times. How long did you fire the Glow Plugs? When cold it takes nearly a minute on mine before the engine likes that added heat. I also have the fuel all the way on, then immediately lower it to ~1K-1,500 RPMs.

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #13  
Don, bad battery, low battery, or it is just undersized for the demand at cold times. How long did you fire the Glow Plugs? When cold it takes nearly a minute on mine before the engine likes that added heat. I also have the fuel all the way on, then immediately lower it to ~1K-1,500 RPMs.

Held glow plugs on as recommended by manual. Did however hold them on longer 1 day whenit was a little warmer and it started. Just might get a greater cranking amp battery when the original fails.

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting

I just went out to start the Massey. It's about 10 degrees here.

Turned the tractor over 4 or 5 revolutions, to start the fuel flow, as per the manual. Engine turned over slowly.

Activated the glow plugs for 15 seconds, attempted starting, it fired good, but sputtered and shut off.

Usually at this point, I wait until the glow plugs will activate again(as I think they may be on a timer, or heat sensor), but this time I didn't wait..........I cranked it again immediately, it sputtered and smoked for about 5 seconds, then continued running.

CCA of the battery is a good call here, I just need to get a meter to check it.

I should also note that I did one other thing differently, I worked the throttle up and down while cranking, as opposed to leaving in a set position.

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #15  
Activated the glow plugs for 15 seconds, attempted starting, it fired good, but sputtered and shut off.

Progress!!

My experience is 15 seconds is not nearly long enough for those conditions. The fact that it quit, would indicate that was the case. If it quits running, or runs very rough initially, you needed more glow plug time.

In that low a temperature, 30 seconds, or more, would likely be prudent. In time, as glow plugs get old and soot covered, these times may need to be extended even longer.

I have no idea why they suggest you crank the engine first? Simply turning on the ignition will energize the fuel pump, and "start the fuel flow". :confused:

If your moving the throttle, once you find the throttle position that it fires at, try just setting it there the next time.

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #16  
I think we need to establish how cold is cold. In my limited experiance:
Above 25 deg F I can start my 2310 using about 30 seconds on the glow plugs.
10-25 deg F I may have to use more time on the glow plugs and jump from another battery.
Below 10 deg F I need to warm the tractor with a forced air heater before even trying to start it.
Once started I allow plenty of warmup time before putting it to work.
My tractor sits in a covered non-insulated open shed so the outside temperatures can really affect starting.

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #17  
I have synthetic oil in mine to lessen the effect of the cold. We seldom get as cold as you guys are describing, but as always it is in the coldest, snowiest weather when it wants to balk at starting.

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #18  
I think we need to establish how cold is cold. In my limited experiance:
Above 25 deg F I can start my 2310 using about 30 seconds on the glow plugs.
10-25 deg F I may have to use more time on the glow plugs and jump from another battery.
Below 10 deg F I need to warm the tractor with a forced air heater before even trying to start it.
Once started I allow plenty of warmup time before putting it to work.
My tractor sits in a covered non-insulated open shed so the outside temperatures can really affect starting.

That seems to be a good guide. The problem is, results seem to vary.

Unless you had the same person starting them all, in the same place, on the same day, you can't tell for sure if the difference is the machines, or technique.

For example, my 2310 has always started, even in below zero conditions, without any external heat, or additional power. :confused3:

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #19  
That seems to be a good guide. The problem is, results seem to vary.

Unless you had the same person starting them all, in the same place, on the same day, you can't tell for sure if the difference is the machines, or technique.

For example, my 2310 has always started, even in below zero conditions, without any external heat, or additional power. :confused3:

I agree, every tractor will have some variation on starting, I will just try different techniques and see what works best for my tractor. This has been the only glitch I have had with the GC2400 so far so I am quite please with its performance.

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #20  
I will add for scientific purposes, I do keep a Harbor Freight battery tender on my machine.

It's too small to make a huge difference at very low temperatures, but certainly better than nothing.