GC 2400 Hard Starting

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #1  

Don87

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2400
I posted something about it on the Kubota thread in reference to someone else's problem, but I'll put it here also.

Since it has gotten colder here, I've been having increasing problems starting my GC2400.

I have no block heater. Tractor is stored in an unheated garage.

I just did the 50 hour service(starting problem existed before this).

Takes at least 3........sometimes 4 tries to get the tractor to stay running(fires, sputters some, then shuts off).

Trottle position make no difference as long as I'm above idle, I've tried 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 3/4, WOT.

Glow plug timing makes no difference, 15 seconds, 30, 45, 60.

What I have done, besides the service(oil change, all filters, Hydraulic oil), is pull the glow plugs.

I preformed 2 tests on them............first was with the ohmeter, which showed continuity(normal). Second was I individually tested each glow plug in the circuit, each one got hot instantly as soon as I grounded it.

The only other thing I can come up with now is 'fuel quality', so I'm going to change the place I purchase my fuel at.

But I will add, that on my 50 hour service, My fuel filter was 'black'. Which in my opinion is unacceptable.

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #2  
i bought mine in early may... had to use the glow plugs to get it going to move it off the trailer when i got it home.

it really does seem to be susceptible to cold starting problems... good thing i have a block heater:)

maybe a trouble light or 500w halogen under the hood on the injector pump side would make the difference?

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #3  
Don, I check my fuel filter every time I do service or poke around under the hood, but have yet to change it; it has always looked good... still does. Sounds like fuel may be --or may have been-- your issue. (My 2310 has about 200 hrs now.)

I get my tractor diesel at the same truck stop I go to to fill up my Jetta TDI- so far never a problem. I use Stanadyne in both the Jetta and the tractor.

Has the new one turned black? Do you use a fuel additive?

I will admit that my 2310 seems to like several glow plug applications before it will start well, if I don't use the block heater.

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #4  
I think you have pin pointed your problem with fuel issues. A little additive will do some good. Changing fuel stations will help too. Sometimes cracking the throttle a bid while cranking will help too.

You may want to try a little Biocide, that blackness may be algea waiting to screw up your injection system.

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting
Thanks for the replies so far.

With an electric 'radiator type' heater, beside the tractor(under a blanket for an hour), it starts easy.

I'm using Power Service for the additive.

I thought about the algae aspect, could be.......not sure yet.

5 hours since the filter change, it has not turned black yet.

Several glow plug applications on the 2310.........maybe my tractor is normal.

I have about 5 gallons of fuel in my tank now(just emptied my fuel can yesterday). I will be trying the fuel from another station and see if it helps at all.

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #6  
Although many people use them, you should not need fuel additives. Your supplier should be putting in the proper additives before you buy it. We know they don't always.

Although, I will admit I use a small amount of Opti-Lube XPD, as insurance to increase lubricity, (about 1/2 of the recommended amount). Even before I did, I never had fuel issues. I buy off road ULSD, from a local supplier, who has a very good reputation, rather than from a gas station. They insist their additive package is top of the line, and up to the job.

Perhaps if you can do the same, your troubles will disappear.

Sounds like you've tried everything else, but sometimes it's still the operator. We have several aircraft, at the airport, that one guy will get to start right up when it's cold, and others can't, even though they supposedly do the exact same thing. Mojo? ::smiley_aafz:

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting
Could just be me, and my son............you may be onto something though.

I'll have the wife start it from now on:D

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #8  
I can remember two times when my wife went out to start mine in the morning, and one time I asked her to start it when I was on the way home from work. So far, she is 3 for 3.

So, it's worth a try. :thumbsup: :D

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #9  
I had to install a block heater in my GC. Starts like a champ now. I have the heater set on a timer for 3am to 6am daily...waiting for that big morning snow

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #10  
Since it has gotten colder here, I've been having increasing problems starting my GC2400.

I have no block heater. Tractor is stored in an unheated garage.

Hey Don87, I had the same cold starting problems, but did not have the fuel filter problem. I bit the bullet and purchased the MF blockheater, simple to install, and solves the problem, :thumbsup:. When it is -20 degs F, I only plug it in for about 45 minutes and it starts right up and runs like it is already warmed up, :thumbsup:. Good luck, KC :D :D :D