Traction GC 2410 When in 4x4 the front wheels don't always spin.

/ GC 2410 When in 4x4 the front wheels don't always spin. #1  

cdaigle430

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
When plowing today, I noticed that most of the time, one front wheel will spin when the other will not, and it varies as to which side it happens on. I though it was full lock once your in 4x4?

/ GC 2410 When in 4x4 the front wheels don't always spin. #2  
4wd actually only gives one drive wheel in the front, and one in the back at a time. So yes, this is normal.

You can use the rear diff. lock and have 3 wheel drive, if it becomes necessary.

/ GC 2410 When in 4x4 the front wheels don't always spin.
ray66v said:
4wd actually only gives one drive wheel in the front, and one in the back at a time. So yes, this is normal.

You can use the rear diff. lock and have 3 wheel drive, if it becomes necessary.

Thanks for the quick response and answer.

/ GC 2410 When in 4x4 the front wheels don't always spin. #4  
When plowing today, I noticed that most of the time, one front wheel will spin when the other will not, and it varies as to which side it happens on. I though it was full lock once your in 4x4?
Ray's Rite.
I don't know of any tractor with fron't diff. lock.

/ GC 2410 When in 4x4 the front wheels don't always spin. #5  
you can also apply pressure on the split brake pedal that is on the side of the rear wheel that is spinning, and it will put pressure on the non moving rear wheel thru the spider gears and the bevel gear on that side. this is instead of stepping on the differential lock, or if you dont have a differential lock . Of course some tractors don't have split brakes either:mad:But unfortunately wont do anything for your front wheels.
James K0UA

/ GC 2410 When in 4x4 the front wheels don't always spin. #6  
The torque from the front driveshaft is actually split evenly between the left and right tires. In a perfect world where the traction of both front tires was exactly equal, both tires would spin. However, we all know that the world isn't perfect so one tire always seems to have more traction than the other. When this happens, the tire with the least amount of traction will spin. Since the differential splits the torque, the non spinning tire is not just sitting there dead in the water, it is actually receiving some torque and it is trying to spin but it won't because it has more traction than the other tire. The same exact thing happens with the rear axle but we have a diff lock.