Traction GC2410 FEL Snow Moving Experience

/ GC2410 FEL Snow Moving Experience #1  

cdaigle430

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
Just wanted to chime in with my experience on removing snow with the FEL on the GC2410. First of all, it took a lot longer than I expected, but, I got to excercise the tractor. The main reason it took longer was mostly due to experience-it was my first time.

I left the BH on for traction, but, noticed that I came heart stoppingly close to my house, mailbox and Jeep on several occasions, once again mostly due to experience. The tractor is so long with the FEL and BH on it :) The other thing is it's hard to control the angle of the FEL to be constantly on the ground.

So far, the FEL has proven to be a worthy adversary to the 16" of snow we got a couple days ago but I need more experience. I do see a snow thrower and a cab in the future :)

/ GC2410 FEL Snow Moving Experience #2  
We got 24" dumped on us in Foster RI. My BX2660 just can't handle that much snow using the 48" FEL. Don't know if I'm going to add a plow to the tractor, pick up a cheap truck for plowing only or add a plow to our pick-up. A blower is out of the question as I have a 2600 ft. gravel/rock drive. Fortunately we have a friend plowing us this year for cheap money. Sure was fun cleaning up after our buddy did his thing with the plow. Another option; will be purchasing a Gator or Ranger, may add a plow to that.

I'm just a rookie to this horse farm stuff but lov'n it :)

/ GC2410 FEL Snow Moving Experience #3  
I've using my FEL to move snow for 5 years now. On the 2310 the hoe does stick out a bit and have backed in to a couple of things. Thought about getting a rear mount blower - have to wait till next winter.

Attachments

• GC Snow.jpg
    GC Snow.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 529
   / GC2410 FEL Snow Moving Experience #4  
My 2610 does a very good job, love the float on the FEL. BB works great as a counterweight, and using in reverse.;)

/ GC2410 FEL Snow Moving Experience #5  
Try curling the bucket so the front edge is off the ground an inch or so and the back bottom edge is touching. Then put the FEL in the float position. This will prevent the bucket from digging in and allow it to freely adjust to the terrain.

/ GC2410 FEL Snow Moving Experience #6  
I purchased the snowblower, and I love it. A must have if you get any amount of snow.

To unbidden.............don't count the blower out. I did my neighbors driveway(all gravel), and he was amazed that I only picked up a little gravel, but his brother 'trashed' the driveway and the yard with the snowplow.

I did not move the 'feet' on my blower. I just worked the controls to raise and lower. But you could add wheels to the blower to keep it from digging in.(someone posted their build thread on here).

Buy the blower, you'll be glad you did.:thumbsup:

I'm using the front mount snowblower, and the FEL, to move the snow here.......we have about 20 inches now.

/ GC2410 FEL Snow Moving Experience #7  
Did you get any pics Don? I'm in northern Ontario and we haven't gotten anything here yet. No snowbanks , open lake. Weird.

/ GC2410 FEL Snow Moving Experience #8  
Concerning the FEL bucket digging in; like many here I use a piece of PVC cut down the center and popped onto the blade of the bucket. Works like a charm.

/ GC2410 FEL Snow Moving Experience #9  
I have used my GC2600 two times now for moving snow with the FEL. Like you, I think I will become more efficient with some more seat time. I have used my BB for balast and it does add a challenge to keep from backing and swinging into things. It has saved me a lot of time over the old method of a shovel and walk behind snowblower. I still use the snowblower for the majority of the driveway. Especially the last 20+" storm we had, but I use the tractor for the present that the plow trucks leave at the bottom near the road.

/ GC2410 FEL Snow Moving Experience #10  
Did you get any pics Don? I'm in northern Ontario and we haven't gotten anything here yet. No snowbanks , open lake. Weird.

Sorry no pics.

I just got done clearing 2 feet of snow from my dog's running area, plus cleared a path through the yard and way up into the woods..........all with the FEL.

As soon as my son gets back home, I'll have him take a few pics and post them here.