1600 series - Synchro, Power Shuttle or Hydro ?

/ 1600 series - Synchro, Power Shuttle or Hydro ? #1  

Gio

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson gc2400
I'm thinking about buying a 1600 series MF. Can someone give me a quick rundown on the Power Shuttle vs Synchro vs Hydro set ups?

I have a GC2400 now so I get the Hydro but what are the other two, pros/cons?

Also, are there any "Must haves" when buying a 1635/1643?

Thank you in advance for your input.

/ 1600 series - Synchro, Power Shuttle or Hydro ? #2  
I have a 1532 , equipped with 8x8 shuttle . A lot of people prefer the hst , but I like the shuttle . For my use it's just fine . The dealer says you give up a few hp to run hst . Drive one of each of the choices . You will get a lot of opinions on this one . Good luck with your purchase .

/ 1600 series - Synchro, Power Shuttle or Hydro ? #3  
I have a 1635 hydro with a cab and with only 150+ hours on it I love it. I do alot of snow blowing with a Blizzard B74 rear mount snowblower and the hydro is just perfect for that. If I get into heavy snow all I have to do is back off on the pedal. The RPM's stay up and it keeps on blowing. It pulls a two botton plow and a 6 1/2' rototiller with out a problem and a 6' rear mower. My only objection is there are alot of moveing parts in a hydro and it is "whiney". Not sure I would do the hydro again, to early to tell. We'll see how it holds up. Good luck

/ 1600 series - Synchro, Power Shuttle or Hydro ? #4  
I have a 1635 that I purchased two years ago. It has a hydrostatic transmission. I use it mostly for seeding grass in yards which I am establishing or reseeding. The seeder is a Befco Greenrite III and is quite heavy. The tractor handles it very nicely and what I especially like about the hydro transmission is that it is very easy to go from forward to reverse without having to mess with clutching. This is also great if you are doing a lot of loader work.

I also have 2 MF 1528 tractors with hydros which I use for almost everything else. Plowing, tilling, mowing, moving dirt, etc. After having had regular gear drive tractors and the hydros, I would highly recommend the hydros. Just too handy not to have, especially if you are doing stop-and-go work

George

/ 1600 series - Synchro, Power Shuttle or Hydro ? #5  
I like the PS, but it just depends on what you will be doing with it. As far as must haves id put a set of remotes on the back.:thumbsup:

/ 1600 series - Synchro, Power Shuttle or Hydro ?
Thanks everyone.

any thoughts on the 1635 vs 1643?

/ 1600 series - Synchro, Power Shuttle or Hydro ? #7  
:thumbsup:
Thanks everyone.

More power "Over kill is under rated".....

I have a 1643CL Power Shuttle... I think there is a clutch / hydraulic problem that has yet to be determined.. I'm refreshing the front end on my MF 245 right now but as soon as I reassemble the dealer want the 1643 back to chase that problem. I seem to have the only one that has this particular problem. Still I give this design a thumbs up :thumbsup: I had a chance to see a 1652CL after I got my 1643. If I had to do it all over I would have got the 1652. I was afraid when I ordered that the 1652 would be to tall for some of my barn doors but when I saw them side by side the 1652 was only a little longer. This would help the ride and give you "MORE POWER".. Also I ordered the R4 tires.. I think they ride a little rougher than the ag-tires.. Just some things to consider........

Like I said earlier... Over kill is under rated...........

tpoole12

/ 1600 series - Synchro, Power Shuttle or Hydro ? #8  
Thanks everyone.

I would have bought the 1643 but with the extra $1500 or so above the 1635 I put it toward the snow blower. If you can swing the extra for the 1643 go for it,you will not regret it. The 1635 really does all I need.

/ 1600 series - Synchro, Power Shuttle or Hydro ? #9  
I have a 1643 with HST and its fantastic. I grew up driving gear tractors and the hydro is so much nicer. If you're going to be doing a lot of loader work, you can't beat the hydro. If you're planning on doing more field work, then a gear tractor is hard to beat.