MF 50 - 1963

/ MF 50 - 1963 #1  

John Kennelly

Tractor
MF 50
My MF 50 has started to have problems starting. I just get a clicking sound when the key is turned. Tho only way to start the tractor is to turn the key and jump the solenoid. When I started to investigate the problem I found a fuse on the battery side of the firewall. When I opened up the firewall the wire that was attached to the fuse had rust off whatever it was attached to. So my question is....does this fuse have anything to do with the ignition, or do
i just need a new solenoid and what did the fuse wire attach to?

thanks

/ MF 50 - 1963 #2  
Here is a wiring diagram from the AGCOpartsbook for a Massey 50. It does show two inline fuses, but not where you described on yours. These are located above the starter, and note the larger view showing the fuse's and holders.

There were several 50 models listed, but I got this one from the top of the list. Didn't check to see if they were all the same... But it does show the color code, red and green, and where they go.

Hope this helps..!!

Attachments

• Massey Ferguson 50 wiring diagram.jpg
    Massey Ferguson 50 wiring diagram.jpg
    855 KB · Views: 22,580
   / MF 50 - 1963
Thanks for the diagram, it may point me in the right direction. I will see if I can take a picture and post it next week.

jk

/ MF 50 - 1963 #4  
I would guess the fuse is for the lights. Typically the starter circuit doesn't have fuses. My 1956 MH50 has had the same symptoms before and was corrected by taking the solenoid off, cleaning the rust and junk from all surfaces and putting on a thin film of grease and then cleaning and tightening all connections. It's been good for at least 5 years now.

/ MF 50 - 1963 #5  
In spending time reading all the posstings it appears there is a relationship between the solenoid and the starter. From my experience if you are at the solenoid why not pull the starter and clean up bendix up. There are some starters that are near impossible to get to so that is not a fun job.
In our plant we use to have a large number of brush motors that ran all the time. I started clean up program and went through everyone. They got brushes, bearing, washed, communitator cleaned or recut and under cut.
If you want to see carbon dust look at the inside of a brush motor.
Craig Clayton