'58 MF-50 Issues

/ '58 MF-50 Issues #1  

Massey_lover

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson MF 250, Belarus T-40A
Hey all, I was just outside putting the blade on my old MF 50, when I lifted the blade and put it in gear to plow the driveway I let the clutch out and BANG. That was it. No movement. The hydraulics and PTO still work. I'm thinking it's the rear driveshaft but I don't really know. Any suggestions? I need to get it up and running ASAP before it snows again

/ '58 MF-50 Issues #2  
I've got a 1956 MH50. Can you shift the transmission into all gears? Hi-Lo sick too? It sounds like the final drive portion is the problem is can shift to all. Mine has had problems in the past getting stuck in 2nd gear or in neutral. I've always managed to free it by taking the top plug out on the tranny and moving the sliding gear the the stick attaches to. Good luck!

/ '58 MF-50 Issues #3  
I did something similar on my 165. You may have locked the transmission there was a good read up on this on the web somewhere Ytmag.com has good info on the older tractors. When this happened to me it would start but when of clutch would stall, be careful you can break something in there

/ '58 MF-50 Issues #4  
I assume it wasn't just the dual range transmission lever popping out of gear, was it ? ( Yes, as a matter of fact that hapened to me shortly after I bought my Ferguson, and I was very upset until I realized what the trouble was.)

/ '58 MF-50 Issues
Thanks for the help. Turns out i was right, sort of. Theres a grooved sleeve in the rear axle driveshaft that is designed to function like a shearpin and that's where my troubles manifested themselves. Also found that he clutch was in perfect condition other than 53 years worth of wear. And dual stage clutches are ridiculously expensive