Steering wheel position is changing?

/ Steering wheel position is changing? #1  

MF RED in MT

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
I just purchased an "Easy Rider Steering Wheel Knob Spinner and installed it at the 6 o'clock position on the steering wheel when the front tires are pointed straight.
Today after finishing snowblowing, I discovered the knob to be at the 2 o'clock position when the tires are straight, :confused2:.
I then turned the wheel all the way to the right and kept just a small amount of pressure on the wheel while driving forward and noticed that the sterring wheel would slightly move while the tires stayed locked all the way to the right, :(.
I think how the clocking was changing was when I would snowblow along the 4 foot vertical bank and sometimes the front wheels are slightly turned into the bank while snowblowing, :confused:.
Have any of you experienced anything like this, because this does not seem to be normal to me???

/ Steering wheel position is changing? #2  
G'day nothing unusual in what it is doing, it is caused by a small amount of bypass ( read SMALL) in the orbital unit they do this from brand new. Our old 786 inter could do 2 - 3 full rotations after mowing a n 80 acre paddock

Jon

/ Steering wheel position is changing? #3  
Nothing to worry about, its just the way it is with hydrolicks.
Army Grunt

/ Steering wheel position is changing? #4  
Mine did it too; I thought I was imagining it! After a while it seems to have "settled down," but I think it still drifts just a bit.

Glad to hear that explained, banjodunn!

Didn't seem to hurt anything, but it did seem strange....

/ Steering wheel position is changing? #5  
This is very normal with hydrostatic steering.

/ Steering wheel position is changing? #6  
my old Long 2360 had hydrostatic steering, with the engine off, you could spin the steering wheel like a roulette wheel, after the pressure bled off.

James K0UA

/ Steering wheel position is changing? #7  
Mine did it too; I thought I was imagining it! After a while it seems to have "settled down," but I think it still drifts just a bit.

Didn't seem to hurt anything, but it did seem strange....
Thought the same thing when I got the JD2320, I thought this can't be happening on a brand new tractor! Just another reason I never put a spinner knob on.

/ Steering wheel position is changing? #8  
Mine did it too. After blowing the seal under my steering wheel I took the spinner off. I DO NOT use the wheel as a handle when I climb in, I can only assume that cranking on the spinner puts a side or up/down load on the shaft. I missed it at first, but not any more.

/ Steering wheel position is changing?
Thanks to everyone for the good info, :thumbsup:. It just did not make any sense to me that the steering wheel orientation would be changing, :confused2:. I have always just backed off a little on any steering wheel from the full turning position, ;). KC :D :D :D

/ Steering wheel position is changing? #10  
As all have said, hydro steering. The steering wheel has no direct mechanical connection to the front wheels (no shafts or steering box). It is all just the hydraulic valve on the steering wheel shaft that sends the fluid to the hydraulic cylinder to turn the wheels.