All newbies, FAQ:

/ All newbies, FAQ: #52  
Good to know!!:laughing:

My first job after landing a job on a dairy in the 10th grade was to spread manure. Engaged the PTO and within seconds the tractor and I were covered. :ashamed:

>>They did not make the ROPS 2" too high to fit in your garage, just to piss you off. The government did that. <<

....and tell me please what is so helpful and useful about this???? :p

/ All newbies, FAQ:
>>They did not make the ROPS 2" too high to fit in your garage, just to piss you off. The government did that. <<

....and tell me please what is so helpful and useful about this???? :p

As I explained to you, this thread was created for new MF compact owners.

Try to understand that, then you should have your answer.

/ All newbies, FAQ: #54  
Ohhhhh! Sorry! Now I get it.

"When you hook your brand new manure spreader up to your brand new MF compact tractor, remember this:

Point the tractor in the direction with the wind blowing on your face, not on your back. Otherwise you will have manure raining down on your nice, shiney new MF compact tractor, and you!

Your MF compact tractor is not a car. It is fairly usless unless it is has some sort of working tool attached. You have to think about the aspects of the operation of attached equipment, as well as your new MF compact tractor.
If you don't, you'll end up like I did; in deep do-do! :confused2:

/ All newbies, FAQ: #56  
Mowing.
So you take perfect care of your brand new MF compact tractor; great!
But even with perfect maintenance you can overheat your MF compact tractor if you overlook an issue that commonly happens while mowing.

Your MF compact tractor has a removable pre-screen that prevents large debris from clogging the radiator fins. If you are mowing late in the season in high grass when the seed pods are dry, you can quickly clog that prescreen and in hot weather find that your MF compact tractor is serious overheated.

When mowing in high grass, check the pre-screen every hour or so. If it is clogged, shut off the engine, remove the screen and clear debris and replace.

If you ignore this procedure, blow a head gasket and warp the head you will only wish you were covered in dung as in the first example. :D

/ All newbies, FAQ: #57  
Mowing.
So you take perfect care of your brand new MF compact tractor; great!
But even with perfect maintenance you can overheat your MF compact tractor if you overlook an issue that commonly happens while mowing.

Your MF compact tractor has a removable pre-screen that prevents large debris from clogging the radiator fins. If you are mowing late in the season in high grass when the seed pods are dry, you can quickly clog that prescreen and in hot weather find that your MF compact tractor is serious overheated.

When mowing in high grass, check the pre-screen every hour or so. If it is clogged, shut off the engine, remove the screen and clear debris and replace.

If you ignore this procedure, blow a head gasket and warp the head you will only wish you were covered in dung as in the first example. :D

:eek: Hopefully it wasnt a "learn from experience" lesson.

/ All newbies, FAQ: #58  
if you put the radiator screen in backwards (lifting tab toward air filter) it will cause a rattle.

also, a couple of o-rings will firm up the hood strut and keep it from rattling.:thumbsup:

/ All newbies, FAQ: #59  
Too bad we can't have a permanent thread kept at the top, for all new compact tractor owners:

The steering wheel is not attached to the wheels mechanically so it does not stay in the same place.

Don't use the steering wheel as a grab bar to pull your mass on to the tractor, You will damage the steering controller.

Your oil will turn black, it's a diesel, they do that.

You should immediately get out your grease gun, and find the grease fittings that were not greased during the dealer prep.

The reason it won't start, is probably because you bumped one of the levers, and have not realized it yet. Check all of them.

They did not make the ROPS 2" too high to fit in your garage, just to piss you off. The government did that.

About 1/2 of us, (my perception), are using synthetic oil in the engine, transmission, and front axle.

Yes, you can use gear lube, instead of hydraulic oil, in the front axle.

If you put in generic hydraulic fluid, and you notice things are different, it is the hydraulic fluid. About 50%, (my perception) of those who use generic report issues. The rest love it.

You can run around in 4wd all the time, but it will wear out your front tires faster.

There are some generic engine oil filters out there, no generic hydraulic filters, (for MF), as of this date.

You have to use more glow plug time, and open the throttle, before you will get a good start in cold weather.

If you put in gasoline by mistake, it is not the end of the world. search for a thread pertaining to this, and follow the instructions.

If you run it out of fuel, you usually need to bleed the air out before it will start. search for a thread pertaining to this and follow the instructions.

Your dealer lied to you. (just kidding), (but he might have).

Anyone have any I forgot?

thanks for all the tips, phil

/ All newbies, FAQ: #60  
thanks for all the tips. newbie to the forum. 500 hrs on my 2410. first tractor. this thing has saved me so much money.

let me add. if mowing/using in long grass. put a shield under the belly of the tractor to keep the long grass from winding itself around the transmission fan and working its way into a gigantic mfing mess.

when replacing the seal and bearing behind the fan, there will come a time when you realize that you need to rip the dang fan off no matter what happens. at that point it will pop off easily.