1533 300 hour service - 4WD oil level?

/ 1533 300 hour service - 4WD oil level? #1  

mack101

I am just about finished the 300 (ahem, 338 :D ) hour service on my 1533. Everything went pretty smoothly, no big surprises and was quite a bit of fun. Except draining the trans oil, I really need to find a 35L oil pan!!! :eek:

Fluids wise it seemed to take a lot more hydraulic/transmission fluid than the stated capacity of 31.9 L.

I found one discrepancy with the manual though. I don't have a oil level plug on top of the 4WD hubs as shown in the manual. I was pouring from a 5 gallon pail and could only give a best guess as to how much I put in there. Once the oil slowed down quite a bit, and the last air bubbles popped up, I quit there.

Is there a secret to finding the oil level here? :confused: My 1533 is a 2008 model.

For those interested, the maintenance items cost me ~$425. This includes three 5 gallon pails of MF Permatrans (I have about 2.5 gallons left over), the oil filter, fuel filter, trans filter, and the outer air filter, and two jugs of 10W30 diesel oil. The filters are not cheap, and neither is the trans oil. I can't really see how you could save alot of money using alternates...

Thanks for any insight.

John

/ 1533 300 hour service - 4WD oil level? #2  
I am coming up on the 50 hr mark on my 1532. With the price of hydro fluid I'm tempted to let the hrs go to maybe 100 or 150 on the first service, but I don't dare. It seems such a waste to dump all that fluid w/ just 50 hrs on it. It seems to me the filters should catch any break in wear material, but I guess the engineers know what's best.

/ 1533 300 hour service - 4WD oil level? #3  
I am just about finished the 300 (ahem, 338 :D ) hour service on my 1533. Everything went pretty smoothly, no big surprises and was quite a bit of fun. Except draining the trans oil, I really need to find a 35L oil pan!!! :eek:

Fluids wise it seemed to take a lot more hydraulic/transmission fluid than the stated capacity of 31.9 L.

I found one discrepancy with the manual though. I don't have a oil level plug on top of the 4WD hubs as shown in the manual. I was pouring from a 5 gallon pail and could only give a best guess as to how much I put in there. Once the oil slowed down quite a bit, and the last air bubbles popped up, I quit there.

Is there a secret to finding the oil level here? :confused: My 1533 is a 2008 model.

For those interested, the maintenance items cost me ~$425. This includes three 5 gallon pails of MF Permatrans (I have about 2.5 gallons left over), the oil filter, fuel filter, trans filter, and the outer air filter, and two jugs of 10W30 diesel oil. The filters are not cheap, and neither is the trans oil. I can't really see how you could save alot of money using alternates...

Thanks for any insight.

John
You should have a plastic cap on the right side on top of the axle. Look in there with a flash light and when the oil is in the middle of the axle shaft its full. I have been buying my hydro oil from TSC the one that says meets the specs. for permatrans on sale for 35.00 per 5 gallons for 800 hrs now with no problems. It even smells the same:D Hope this helps.

/ 1533 300 hour service - 4WD oil level?
You should have a plastic cap on the right side on top of the axle. Look in there with a flash light and when the oil is in the middle of the axle shaft its full. I have been buying my hydro oil from TSC the one that says meets the specs. for permatrans on sale for 35.00 per 5 gallons for 800 hrs now with no problems. It even smells the same:D Hope this helps.

Thanks Darryl. I had stuck a small screwdriver in there to get some sort of measurement but I will head out tomorrow with a flash light. :thumbsup:

/ 1533 300 hour service - 4WD oil level? #5  
I absolutely hate the clear sight plugs on some of these tractors. As clear as the fluid is, it is almost impossible to tell how much is in the tractor. I have been holding a wire by the fill plug and running it to the bottom of the sight plug then bending the top over at the top plug level. That way I have a dipstick. They should go back to dipsticks like the 1200 series had.
The 50 hour service is the most important to be able catch abnormal wear in the transmission.

/ 1533 300 hour service - 4WD oil level? #6  
I absolutely hate the clear sight plugs on some of these tractors. As clear as the fluid is, it is almost impossible to tell how much is in the tractor. I have been holding a wire by the fill plug and running it to the bottom of the sight plug then bending the top over at the top plug level. That way I have a dipstick. They should go back to dipsticks like the 1200 series had.
The 50 hour service is the most important to be able catch abnormal wear in the transmission.

I totally agree.

/ 1533 300 hour service - 4WD oil level? #7  
I will be doing the 50 hour Transmission service on my 1532 tomorrow, changed the engine oil several weeks ago. I will be looking at Schaffer's trans fluid at the 300 hour service to check the price and hope someone will have a trans filter for us by then. Tech at the dealer told me that he uses
140-W gear oil in the front axles if there was any sign of leaks.

/ 1533 300 hour service - 4WD oil level? #8  
I'm a newbie here on this site. I'm getting ready to do my 300 hour service and thought I'd check out the internet to see about oils, hydro fluids for the tractor. Also wasn't sure what kind of oil to use for the front axle, but after reading on here, I think I have good idea now. Now, anyone got a good place to get the filters, especially the hydro filter??? Not even sure what the correct number is yet, but do have a dealer nearby. Love the 1533 though..great tractor! Also have a Massey Harris 50 in the barn to fix up and I believe it's a 57 model. I guess they only built it 2 years before Ferguson merged in with them.

/ 1533 300 hour service - 4WD oil level? #9  
Our front axle holds 7 1/2 litres, that is how much I put in. When looking through the fill hole, make sure the shafts and gears are covered. We run synthetic 75W90.

Where is the sight glass on tne 1533? The 1600 series is on the left rear planetary housing. Fluid is easy to see, but I would rather have a dipstick like the 1523 had.

/ 1533 300 hour service - 4WD oil level? #10  
I have yet to see the sight glass on mine. I just remove the filler cap and fill it up to cover the shaft. I do have a small leak and need to replace the seal on the left side but may wait til warmer weather. If it gets worse, or if putting in heavier oil doesn't help, then I'll go ahead and tear it down and replace the seal. I'll have to check a little further. So far, I'm still looking to buy a service manual. My philosphy over the years has been.....it is moves, it gets lubed. LOL.. Works well most of the time.

Larry