Tractor
    Agco ST34A

Default Radiator hose heater

I have a Agco ST34A which is a twin for the MF 1533. This winter I was unable to start it for about a month. It is inside an unheated shed (Temp. were about 10-20 degrees). Since I really didn't have to use it, I just played with it trying different things. Cleaned the fuel bowl, put in a new fuel filter, warmed it with with a kerosene heater, put a magnetic heater on the oil pan ect. Still wouldn't start. Not a problem till we got about 12 inches of snow plus drifting in the KS wind. I finally had my son in law who has big White tractors help and he had no luck also. He finally called a friend who is a mechanic who said that model engine is the worst cold starting engine that Agco made.

I want to avoid the same problem next year and install either an engine block heater(about $200 kit from Agco) little rich for my blood. Most people say that a cheap radiator hose heater will work about as well. Where is the best place in the lower radiator to put it? The instructions say to put it as close to the water pump as possible, but that is high up - almost to the top of the radiator. I know immerson heater burn out quickly if no water in present. Is it safe to put it up that high or should I go to the bottom?

Tractor
    MF 5435, MF 165's

Default Re: Radiator hose heater

I would put it in the lower hose.

I would suggest checking your glow plug operation, though.

I guess I don't agree with your son-in-law's mechanic friend, those tractor's started pretty good in general. Some would smoke & cough on cold start-up, the timing was off & needed checking.

The heater should go into the bottom hose.

Did you throw a tarp over the tractor when you tried the kerosene heater?
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Silver Member
    Tractor
    MF1010

Definitely make certain the GPs are actually working, then go from there. They are not too difficult to check if you can get to them.

I use a cheap heat lamp on my 1010 right under the oil pan. But I don't usually need to start below 30 degrees either.

You might try hitting the GPs for a bit longer than whatever your manual says to do. I've used them for up to 90 seconds in really cold weather. And when I tested mine, I found they didn't glow at all for the first 10 seconds.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

The block heater is the best, the hose heater running a close second.

Forget magnetic heaters.

As Egon said, be sure to cover the tractor when using the kerosene heater........makes all the difference in the world(speaking from experience here).

As far as the best place for the hose heater.................Pick a spot on the hose that that is flat for several inches, but be sure to locate in a place that will allow the heat to 'rise' into the engine.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1140

Hello.
    I installed the hose type and it was fairly straight forward.
    I have never had any problems with the inline heater. I did install it on lowest portion of the hose that feeds the bottom of the rad. This unit performs well and will melt snow off the hood of the tractor. I changed the water pump recently and snapped a pic of the inline heater. The only inconvenience with this type of heater is that the heat will eventually crack the hose. This took about 20 years in my case. The hose actually cracked when I removed it to get the rad out so that I could access the water pump.
    Good luck with the install.
    Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Radiator hose heater-img00092-20110119-1414.jpg  
    Massey Ferguson 1140 with Curtis Cab
    1246 mf loader
    5' & 7' buckets
    5' JD brush cutter
    5' snow blower
    Husqvarna 365 Special
    Cub Cadet RZT 50
    2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660
    2003 Skidoo Summit 800
    1998 Skidoo Tundra II
    2005 Toyota Tundra Ltd 4x4
    2003 Honda Pilot
    14' Princecraft with 40HP Merc
    2005 Monaco Knight 41' 330HP Cummins pusher
    Caterpillar D4 Track-type tractor

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by Buyer9991 View Post
    Hello.
    I installed the hose type and it was fairly straight forward.
    I have never had any problems with the inline heater. I did install it on lowest portion of the hose that feeds the bottom of the rad. This unit performs well and will melt snow off the hood of the tractor. I changed the water pump recently and snapped a pic of the inline heater. The only inconvenience with this type of heater is that the heat will eventually crack the hose. This took about 20 years in my case. The hose actually cracked when I removed it to get the rad out so that I could access the water pump.
    Good luck with the install.
    Ron
    I would install one in a 'heartbeat' if I could, but...............
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.