MF35 governor

/ MF35 governor #11  
have you read this thread?

/ MF35 governor #12  
I have a MF 35 with a governor problem. I can start it fine, but then it goes to full throttle. I have to keep working the throttle lever to control it.
any ideas?

First off WELCOME.... you resurrected a 3 yr old thread so responses may be slow

I your engine is running away you need to check the linkage to be sure it is connected and not binding in any way. Or you could have lost the balls that are in the race that are in the governor itself its on the front of the engine behind the timing cover.

My Mf35 lost the race and balls, Replaced and all was well again.

/ MF35 governor #14  
Thanks for the Info. I'll give it a try
I'm assuming your working with a repair manual. If not please donot take apart the governor without prior knowledge or you will create more problems. You can goto www.agocpartsbook.com and login as GUEST and lookup your tractor. There you will find exploded parts diagrams for every area of your tractor. You can at least see how the linkage is attached to the governor. You can print the illustrations thru Internet Explorer with Microsoft Silverlight installed. The site also displays parts numbers alongside the illustrations hence the name AGCOPARTSBOOK. Then you search thru Google for accurate proceedures to adjust the governor on a MF35. BTW Welcome to TractorByNet. At the top of the forum page there is a Google search engine to search this site for the info you seek. I'm sure this topic has been covered at one time or another. Get those hands dirty.. :laughing: -kid

/ MF35 governor #15  
I have a MF 35 with a governor problem. I can start it fine, but then it goes to full throttle. I have to keep working the throttle lever to control it.
any ideas?

Remove the power steering pump cover on the flange on the left hand side of the engine block just behind the timing cover. It has three screws holding it on. Reach in and feel for the cup and shaft assembly of the govener. Move it forward with your fingers and move the throttle shaft coming out of the timing cover, if there is free play, back off the adjusting screw nut and turn the screw in one half turn at a time and note if the free play is reduced. Note how many turns you move the screw in case there are other issues. If you notice improvement keep turning the screw in a little at a time and stop when the free play is gone. Remember to have that cup assembly pushed as far forward as possible. Once you have the free play out, put the power steering pump cover back on and start the engine. It should not over rev and you should have better speed control. You may need to screw the adjuster in about a eight of a turn at a time until the motor does not surge. Remember to tighten the locking nut on the adjusting screw. If you cannot get the free play out with the adjusting screw, there is a spring acutuated by the adjusting screw that may be missing or broke. This will involve removing the radiator and timing cover.

/ MF35 governor #16  
Remove the power steering pump cover on the flange on the left hand side of the engine block just behind the timing cover. It has three screws holding it on. Reach in and feel for the cup and shaft assembly of the govener. Move it forward with your fingers and move the throttle shaft coming out of the timing cover, if there is free play, back off the adjusting screw nut and turn the screw in one half turn at a time and note if the free play is reduced. Note how many turns you move the screw in case there are other issues. If you notice improvement keep turning the screw in a little at a time and stop when the free play is gone. Remember to have that cup assembly pushed as far forward as possible. Once you have the free play out, put the power steering pump cover back on and start the engine. It should not over rev and you should have better speed control. You may need to screw the adjuster in about a eight of a turn at a time until the motor does not surge. Remember to tighten the locking nut on the adjusting screw. If you cannot get the free play out with the adjusting screw, there is a spring acutuated by the adjusting screw that may be missing or broke. This will involve removing the radiator and timing cover.

I am assuming that you have a Continental gas engine and not a diesel. After I reread the thread and found that it was the OP that had the Z134 engine, I have to clarify these suggestions pretain to the Continental engines and not the Perkins diesel engine. Hopefully there has been no confusion. Sorry.

/ MF35 governor #17  
My MF 35 has more problems then the governor. I was mowing with it, when I heard a sound like a chain dragging. I shut it down to see if I hit something with the mower deck,but didn't. Tried to start it up again but no go. I'm thinking timing chain. How do go about checking or replacing it?? never tried this type before. Need some input.