MF275 Engine won't stay running

/ MF275 Engine won't stay running #1  

dr6462

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 275
I just purchased a 1970's vintage MF275 with a Perkins diesel. I had to replace the gasket on the top portion of the injector pump and on the side port. Now when I start the engine it runs for about 1 minute and shuts off. I found that if I open the top bleed screw the engine will continue to run as fuel escapes from the bleed screw. I close the top bleed screw and the engine shuts off. Any Ideas?

/ MF275 Engine won't stay running #2  
Its sucking air somewhere. When you open the bleed screw you let the air and fuel out. It wont compress air only diesel.
find the leak.
I always like to have an electric 12 volt supply pump. with it just look for the ozzing fuel and fix the leak.

/ MF275 Engine won't stay running
Thanks!!! Makes sence I'll go hunting. I had the entire fuel system pulled apart as I was cleaning it up and fixing many of the little things I found wrong, so I've got my work cut out for me.

12 volt pump sounds like a good idea.

/ MF275 Engine won't stay running #4  
If you have a seperate fuel pump test that it is working.The engine will run with out it for a while then when it stops gravity will take over and you can start it back up. Happened to me on a perkins.

/ MF275 Engine won't stay running
Problem Solved!!!! Found the air leak! I had replaced the fuel line with a new one and did not realize there was a rubber seal inside the connector. Took the connector apart and found the rubber seal inside was destroyed. I replaced with new rubber O-Ring put it back together tractor fired right up and kept on running.

Thanks for the advise!!!!!:thumbsup: