GC2310 front axle spring clip

/ GC2310 front axle spring clip #1  

Mac clarke

I had no problem getting the front wheel unit apart and getting the new seal in place, but I just spent another hour trying to get the spring clip back on inside that unit. It's the one that holds the top and bottom parts together.

What is the trick to getting it back on.
Does one need extra big clip ring pliers for this task? Hate to stretch that clip ring more then neccessary.

Your advise is greatly appreciated.
Mac Clarke

/ GC2310 front axle spring clip #2  
What Mac is talking about is replacing the seal on the main output shaft on a 2310, located just behind the plastic cooling fan. He had quite a leak there at the seal. A spring clip (snap ring) seems to hold it in place.

A new member from Nova Scotia, he's having trouble downloading pics; I'll post his here, along with one of mine, which looks like the identical set-up.

Mac- in your second pic, it looks like the inside of the HST assembly; did you end up taking it off and opening it up, or were you able to get at it from the outside? Or, is the "wheel unit" another seal entirely? I'm confused.

Anyone else ever have this problem?

Attachments

• Tractor leak 006.jpg
    Tractor leak 006.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 461
  • Front seal replacement 019.JPG
    Front seal replacement 019.JPG
    683 KB · Views: 430
  • output shaft seal.JPG
    output shaft seal.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 314
   / GC2310 front axle spring clip
The picture there (one with red part and spring clip pliers) is the spring clip in the steering hub. I am trying to get back together.
Not the hst unit. That's another job waiting for me after I change the front axel seals.
Sorry for the confusion.

I posted about the leaking seal at the hst unit, ( drive shaft) and waiting to see if some one all ready changed that one, and if so, did they without taking the rear end out of the tractor. I'm thinking the drive shaft can be disconnected , the fan removed and the seal slid off the shaft.

But then again I got two clues, one is lost and the other is gone looking for it.

All advise and help with both issues greatly appreciated.

/ GC2310 front axle spring clip #4  
Hey Mac I belive it's snap ring number 21 that your reffering to ,If I'am right its a real bear to get it back on unless you have a good snap ring compressor/expander with interchangeable tips.I did mine and without the tool its pretty hard.Larry

Attachments

• gc2300 (Small).bmp
    654.4 KB · Views: 405
   / GC2310 front axle spring clip #5  
Changed the seals on both of mine. Can't remember what I did but I know the first one took some time getting that clip back on.

Well Lary
I'm not sure which number it is hopefully have the service manual within days.
How-ever that is the bugger we are talking about.
Got a picture of the parts lay out from Walt. I was wondering if perhaps I cold take that inner shaft out and the gear out , then try the spring clip pliers on it, then put the shaft back in through he fill plug.

My small spring clip pliers don't work cause the back of the ring bends up and and they won't spread the thing apart enough, and I can't get in back of that gear to hold it down. Plus I made all kinds of faces trying to do it, to no avail.:laughing:

Some one said there is a bigger pair of spring clip pliers I can purchase so I'll
check that out also.
Once these seals are changed I'll tackle the one at the drive shaft, behind the propeller.

Keep the advise coming folks, it is truely appreciated.

Mac Clarke
Malagash
Nova Scotia
malcolm.clarke@bellaliant.net

Oh yes
Larry, I just seen that little attachment of yours of the parts and yes it is #21.

I have to set it up so I can attach pictures also.

Thanks again everyone for your assistance.
Mac

/ GC2310 front axle spring clip #8  
Sorry, Mac-- I now see your other post under Parts & Repairs. :ashamed:

I'll add your pics of the HST shaft seal to that thread.

Looks like you're pretty busy with seals! How many hours did you say your 2310 has on it?

That's ok IrvingJ.
Thank you very much for posting that for me.
Much appreciated. I'll figure out that picture posting soon.
Yes. There does seem to be a thing with seals. :)

I purchased it used about three years ago and have worked it hard trenching and clearing/pushing brush and small trees. Have used it to mow some large properties with a pull behind 60 inch mower. It probably got it's hardest use digging some trenches for sewer pipe, in ground that had large lime stone rocks. The hr clock shows 840 hrs, but I have the third cable ordered for it, as it rusted apart last summer. I believe it have probably 950-975hrs.
Tried filling the cable with lithium grease, will try squirting oil in the cable on the next one. Other then the seals mentioned, and a couple pinched lines, this little beastis doing well.I'm not sure of the year of this one believe it is one of the original GC2310's.

Have to drive in town today (40miles) to see if I can find a bigger pair of spring clip pliers.

Three minutes

Yep! That all the time it took for me to get out of the vehicle , walk into the garage, put the spring clip on, laugh out loud, leave the garage.

Yes! I feel foolish. But I'm a happy foolish guy.:laughing:

# on the "Snap On" spring clip pliers for this job is SRPC 7090.
They were just a little bigger then the pliers I had.

Now to find out if any of you replace the seal at the rear end of the drive shaft, and how you did it.

Thanks everyone
Mac Clarke

Last edited: