Oil & Fuel Fuel Starvation on Hills with MF 2660

/ Fuel Starvation on Hills with MF 2660 #1  

JWR

Elite Member
Tractor
MF 2660 LP, 3 Kubota B2150, Kubota BX2200, MH Pacer, Gravely 5660, etc.
I found out the hard way as follows: The fuel tank is 1/3 full (half way between 1/4 and 1/2 tank by guage on the level.) I start up a hillside cutting grass with a 7 ft bush hog. Part way up the engine loses power, sputters and eventually dies. Will not restart. Given the lousy brakes on these tractors, this becomes a major safety issue !

I eased it back down to where I could turn to the side some. Engine started right back up after some run time on the electric fuel pump. Tried the hill again. Quit again. Added a few gallons of fuel and could run up and down the hill with great ease.

Moral of the story: The fuel tanks on these are long. (mine is a low profile too.) The pickup is about a foot from the front. As a consequence -- the very obvious consequence! -- the thing starves for fuel even when 1/3 full. With less fuel it would certainly starve out on a less steep slope. My data point is this : With 1/3 tank it will stall out on a 40% slope with absolute certainty.

Massey says: There is likely to be a "product improvement" involving a new pickup which reaches both ends of the tank from a "T" and a check valve that somehow avoids sucking air.

I know of one mechanic who asked if they had hired their engineers from Tonka ...

These are great machines in most ways but the "delivered new" problems like brakes and fuel starvation are just absurd.

/ Fuel Starvation on Hills with MF 2660 #2  
I have experienced a similar problem w/ my GC. My tank would have about the same amount of fuel and I ran out while side hilling. I just make sure the tank is full everytime I finish a project. I watch the guage and when it starts to get around a 1/2 I will add fuel, it is usually about time for a break then anyhow. I think that should not be an issue also. The tank on the GC's are flat and long too with a hose coming out of the bottom in the center?!?

/ Fuel Starvation on Hills with MF 2660 #3  
I'm having a similar problem, starved for fuel, cutting back the rpm, it will idle, and start again,
I had 1/3rd tank and tipped a lot and it started to act up, filled the tank and it run fine, then it did it again with a full tank, i have checked the filter, pipes, air vent, and did not find any dirt in tank, I can watch the filter drain dry when on full power, The tank is not long, it is a cube, with what seems like partitions in the bottom

Challenger m265b ( Massey 1533 )

adolphsn@midcoast.com

Last edited:
   / Fuel Starvation on Hills with MF 2660
I'm having a similar problem, starved for fuel, cutting back the rpm, it will idle, and start again,
I had 1/3rd tank and tipped a lot and it started to act up, filled the tank and it run fine, then it did it again with a full tank, i have checked the filter, pipes, air vent, and did not find any dirt in tank, I can watch the filter drain dry when on full power, The tank is not long, it is a cube, with what seems like partitions in the bottom

Challenger m265b ( Massey 1533 )

adolphsn@midcoast.com

I think you have a different problem. Mine was the fuel pickup being high and dry going up a steep slope. It would of course NOT restart. And the problem never came back with a full tank. Mine is clearly a design issue with the pickup being uncovered going up steep hills. Mine has an electric fuel pump. Is yours by any chance gravity feed ? Also yours being a 1533 is a lot different machine. The 1533 and 2660 probably have nothing in common mechanically.

/ Fuel Starvation on Hills with MF 2660
I found out the hard way as follows: The fuel tank is 1/3 full (half way between 1/4 and 1/2 tank by guage on the level.) I start up a hillside cutting grass with a 7 ft bush hog. Part way up the engine loses power, sputters and eventually dies. Will not restart. Given the lousy brakes on these tractors, this becomes a major safety issue !

I eased it back down to where I could turn to the side some. Engine started right back up after some run time on the electric fuel pump. Tried the hill again. Quit again. Added a few gallons of fuel and could run up and down the hill with great ease.

Moral of the story: The fuel tanks on these are long. (mine is a low profile too.) The pickup is about a foot from the front. As a consequence -- the very obvious consequence! -- the thing starves for fuel even when 1/3 full. With less fuel it would certainly starve out on a less steep slope. My data point is this : With 1/3 tank it will stall out on a 40% slope with absolute certainty.

Massey says: There is likely to be a "product improvement" involving a new pickup which reaches both ends of the tank from a "T" and a check valve that somehow avoids sucking air.

I know of one mechanic who asked if they had hired their engineers from Tonka ...

These are great machines in most ways but the "delivered new" problems like brakes and fuel starvation are just absurd.

-----------------

An Update: The fuel starvation problem has been solved. A Massey dealer in coordination with the regional service people installed a new/different fuel pickup in the tank. Before, it would starve for fuel going up a 40% slope. I have now tested it going up a 50% slope with 1/4 tank of fuel and the fix works. It no longer starves for fuel on steep slopes (within reason of course.) I continue to hear that Massey will come out with a "product improvement" in this area.