Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    2010 GC2610

Default Did my 50hr today

Everything went easily and smoothly. Started with my front axle, drained and refilled with the factory permatran, since I had 1.5 gallons left from when I bought a 2.5 gallon container to top off everything that the dealer didn't.
    Than I reinstalled the drains and left the vents off. I put the fluid in the fill hole to 1/2 full in the tube, took around 15 minutes to finally quit settling into the finals. I used hi-temp RTV (orange stuff) on the threads of the vents and drains. There was quite a few fillings in the oil, which was expected from wear in.
    Then I drained the engine oil. Removed filter, and installed a MF new filter. I then refilled the engine w/ Amsoil diesel 10w30.
    Finally, tackled the HST. Removed the BH, lowered the 3pt hitch, drained the oil and then removed the suction filter, w/o removing the wheel. The suction filter was filled with good sized fillings and some grey looking RTV. Cleaned off and reinstalled. Be careful to line up the o-rings on BOTH sides of the tube, I dropped one in the drain pan and had to go fishing. Then removed the filter/charger off the front of the HST. Let it drain and then reinstalled a new MF filter. Refilled the HST with Amsoil hydro fluid to just the top of the window, started and moved the 3pt several times. Shut off engine topped off the HST and engine. All and all easy service to perform. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy every thing is to get at. Mounted the MMM and mowed my yard.
    Start to finish about 1.5 hrs. But I was taking my time removing baling twine from the axle and removing long grass from the HST fan. Greased and inspected everything underneath the unit.
    Thanks to everyone for their input on which oils and answering any questions I had!!
    Last edited by Wacky; 05-28-2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Thanks
    2010 MF GC2610--MF60"MMM--King Kutter XB 4' rotary cutter-- 4' King Kutter XB boxblade-- Ratchet Rake-- Check that parking brake

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310, Toro Reelmaster 5100D

Default Re: Did my 50hr today

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky View Post
    Everything went easily and smoothly. Started with my front axle, drained and refilled with the factory permatran, since I had 1.5 gallons left from when I bought a 2.5 gallon container to top off everything that the dealer didn't.
    Than I reinstalled the drains and left the vents off. I put the fluid in the fill hole to 1/2 full in the tube, took around 15 minutes to finally quit settling into the finals. I used hi-temp RTV (orange stuff) on the threads of the vents and drains. There was quite a few fillings in the oil, which was expected from wear in.
    Then I drained the engine oil. Removed filter, and installed a MF new filter. I then refilled the engine w/ Amsoil diesel 10w30.
    Finally, tackled the HST. Removed the BH, lowered the 3pt hitch, drained the oil and then removed the suction filter, w/o removing the wheel. The suction filter was filled with good sized fillings and some grey looking RTV. Cleaned off and reinstalled. Be careful to line up the o-rings on BOTH sides of the tube, I dropped one in the drain pan and had to go fishing. Then removed the filter/charger off the front of the HST. Let it drain and then reinstalled a new MF filter. Refilled the HST with Amsoil hydro fluid to just the top of the window, started and moved the 3pt several times. Shut off engine topped off the HST and engine. All and all easy service to perform. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy every thing is to get at. Mounted the MMM and mowed my yard.
    Start to finish about 1.5 hrs. But I was taking my time removing baling twine from the axle and removing long grass from the HST fan. Greased and inspected everything underneath the unit.
    Thanks to everyone for their input on which oils and answering any questions I had!!
    You also saved enough money doing it yourself, to pay for the synthetic oil.

BTW: If your not already using synthetic grease, consider switching to it. There are some that only cost a couple bucks more than the natural stuff, and they do not drip like mineral grease will, in warm weather.

Good to hear everything went smooth. I am at 35.8 hours and rising fast. I will be doing my service myself as well. I am not the most mechanically inclined person but thankfully I have a neighbor that's offered to help.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Glad to hear that your 50 hr. service went well.

I too, like the fact that everything is easily accessible.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd1277 View Post
    Good to hear everything went smooth. I am at 35.8 hours and rising fast. I will be doing my service myself as well. I am not the most mechanically inclined person but thankfully I have a neighbor that's offered to help.
    You'll find that it is an easy job.

Just be careful removing the suction screen. It will come out with the wheel still installed, just takes a small twist to clear the rim.

I also slid a magnetic pickup tool into the hole, after removing the suction screen, to remove any leftover metal that didn't come out.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    none

Sounds like everything went smoothly. Always feels good to do things yourself and know it's done right. Not to mention the money you saved. Good job.
    "Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. You might meet em both if you show up here not welcome, son."- Josh Thompson.

Tractor
    2005 MF GC2310 TLB

Good idea with the magnetic pickup tool! I'll be doing that soon on my 250-hr.
    '07 GC2310 TLB, 2360 snowblower, 2325 MMM, Bro-Tek thumb, Woods GTC40-2 tiller, Woods RB-60 back blade, KK TYR-60 landscape rake, DR 60" Power Grader
    '05 VW Jetta Wgn TDI
    Numerous antique Japanese motorcycles

Tractor
    John Deere 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS & Power Beyond Kit

I just did the HST on my tractor yesterday, All went well took about 1 1/2 hrs. Had some filings on my screen, wish I had read your tip on the pick up tool, before I did the job. Will do it at 200 hrs I guess. Is a great idea
    John Deere 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS
    200CX Loader, 47" Snowblower, 54" Deck, PowerHorse 3ph 13 ton logsplitter

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

I wish I could take credit for the magnetic pickup tool idea. That was actually posted on here by another member. But, at least I'm able to spread the word.

I used the small telescoping one that is on the counter, near the cash register of most NAPA stores
    Don

Tractor
    2010 GC2610

Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    I wish I could take credit for the magnetic pickup tool idea. That was actually posted on here by another member. But, at least I'm able to spread the word.

I used the small telescoping one that is on the counter, near the cash register of most NAPA stores
    That is a good idea. Did you get alot more out?
    2010 MF GC2610--MF60"MMM--King Kutter XB 4' rotary cutter-- 4' King Kutter XB boxblade-- Ratchet Rake-- Check that parking brake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast