Part Number for Tach Cable

/ Part Number for Tach Cable #1  

blackd

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar FX24D replaced with Massey GC2400
Anyone have the part number for the GC2400 tach cable?

Next question: Why the heck did they run it all over the tractor?

Mine comes out to the right side of the tach. Turns and goes down below the battery box. Turns and goes across the tractor to the left side. Turns and goes forward. Turns and goes across the back of the engine to the right side (again.) Turns and goes forward under the alternator to the drive gears.

I think it broke at one of those turns.

/ Part Number for Tach Cable
Well, it is now a work day and the dealer is open. The part # is 6254437M91 and may be updated to 6254437M92. The darned thing is ~64" long, and could easily be just ~40". I ordered the replacement and will reroute it to keep the turns gentler and fewer. With the rerouting it will be easier to get oil in and to the entire length of the cable.

/ Part Number for Tach Cable #3  
How are you going to do that? It is still going to be 64" long:confused:?

/ Part Number for Tach Cable #4  
Good timing, my tach stopped working today so have to ask how much do these cost?

Wacky, they're ~$35. Mine let go at ~225 Hrs.

My first attempt will be to reroute it up from the drive gears, make a gentle arc on the top of the engine and then run it forward back through the firewall hole where the air cleaner rubber snout/extension is, then finally a gentle arc to the left until a final turn to the right side of the Tach.

Mine broke at the ~30" mark from the gear drive. That places it right around the second turn on the left side of the tractor, which was the sharpest turn in the old route.

It's not too hard to get at. You must loosen the alternator and take the belt off. Let the alternator drop away from the engine. That gives you room to get your hand onto the knurled gear drive cap. If you need to loosen it, take a long flat screw driver and gently tap the knurling ridges to break it free. Once free it just comes off by hand.

Once that is free, unhook the tachometer end of the cable and work to fish it from that direction as it is the smaller of the two caps and is easier to fish through some tighter places. Take the air cleaner off for more room on the left side of the engine top for more room to see and fish the cable.

Total time should be less than an hour to take the old one out the first time and half that time to replace it. Be careful and keep it free from the fan blades and fan belt. Keep the turns gentle as to not bind it. Hand tighten the caps!

When my replacement cable comes in I'll update you any changes in the rerouting.

/ Part Number for Tach Cable #8  
they get pinched right at the battery, reroute them outside the battery cable/hold down hardware or whatever it is that causes the bind.

mf mechanic did that to mine, no more issues.:)

Cable came in yesterday. Took about an hour to put in. Ran it as I said in gentle bends on top of engine and right side into tachometer. Zip tied it to a radiator hose and to the firewall where it ran through it. Watch it around the muffler and exhaust as the drive gears are below them.

One surprise. It took a gentle tap to set the cable into the drive gears. Must be some spring pressure to get it full inserted. Used a piece of scrap wood and gentle tap on the ridge of the cable. Otherwise simple job.

I started the tractor a couple times for just a few seconds while the fan belt was off, and it looks like there was a burp of coolant. I am watching to see if it was a one time occurrence.

Update on the coolant burp, NO BIGGEE!!!! Worked it hard today in the heat, and no loss. It did get warm from the screens plugging. That's how dry it is here in SoMD.