1949 Massey tractor

/ 1949 Massey tractor #1  

irvingj

Elite Member
Tractor
2007 MF GC2310 TLB
I think --hey, I'm still pretty new at this-- I helped a young man yesterday with a problem on a 1949 Massey(-Harris?) tractor that he was refurbishing...

Had a very pleasant chat with this fellow and his companion at the TSC store in Littleton, NH. He was trying to hook up a bush hog to the tractor he "inherited" and was having trouble getting the PTO shaft to hook on; apparently, the PTO output shaft on the tractor was too small.:confused:

He showed me a PTO shaft there, which had the same size splined female connector that my 3PH tiller has. I rememebered I'd been surprised last week, when I went to hook my tiller up, to find that rear PTO shaft was larger than the mid-PTO shaft on my 2310. My tiller fit, so I concluded that's the way it was- the rear PTO output shaft was larger.

The way he talked, it sounded as though his 1949 Massey had the same size on the rear as my 2310 has on its mid-PTO.

With that in mind, we scoured the parts shelves and actually found a short female-to-male adapter that went from the small size to the large size.:)

Did I steer him right? I guess I thought all 3PH PTO output shafts were the same....

I also told him to get on TBN and post some pics of his tractor, where he could also get more expert advice than I could give! He explained that the tractor had sat in a field for years, but still started right up with fresh gas and a battery! Looking at some pics online, would that be the Massey-Harris "Pony" tractor? He also said his was made in England! If that's it, it's really neat looking!

Hope he finds TBN soon!

/ 1949 Massey tractor #2  
The Massey Harris "Pony" was made in Ontario, Canada and the US. I don't know about England. Although, Ferguson had a huge presence there.
Most were red with yellow wheels, but some were Ferguson grey (as was ours) as the merger took effect. If his is a '49, then I believe that was pre-merger and wouldn't have been built in England, but not sure.

If he reads the engine block tag, it would clearly say.

The Pony was 14 hp model and it's running mate was the Pacer, model 16 with 16 hp, which my neighbor today, still has. His is original and runs perfectly.

That's me on the red one in the photo, the pedal model. :D

/ 1949 Massey tractor
Thanks for the info, BP, and what a great picture! I remember pedal-powered tractors when I was a kid, but alas, they were all lost to the sands of time....

I have no idea what my new friend has, I only hope he gets onto TBN and posts some pics. Sounds like a very interesting story. He did say, repeatedly, that all the stamps (in the metal?) he saw said, "Made In England" and listed the year as 1949.