Why does my starter solenoid go bad

/ Why does my starter solenoid go bad #1  

JohnDeereGuy

I have a Massey ferguson 4243 about a 1996 and Ive gone through multiple solenoids and just ruined another and need to start it by jumping the solenoid with a wrench. Why does it keep going bad???

/ Why does my starter solenoid go bad #2  
Are you replacing with MF branded soloniod or after market. I know for a fact that you can get after market brands that can handle stronger current than the manufacturers branded units. Ive had to replace some of these with stronger units over the years. they have amp ratings...go for a higher amp rating. you cant hurt anything

/ Why does my starter solenoid go bad #3  
The quality varies and also the current ratings. Yours must be marginal, check out a heavier design... Napa, might be of some help. I like to hands on and open the box and compare?

/ Why does my starter solenoid go bad #4  
I've noticed that many aftermarket vendors/distributors will try to "standardize" parts from various models. They'll use a part that "fits", but isn't built to same spec as OEM parts. The commonality saves them on inventory cost, but in the end, the customer doesn't get a part that's 100% correct. Problem increases as we get more "cheap foriegn parts" (as opposed to EXPENSIVE foriegn parts?????) Not naming names, but I've ran onto that problem with a number of parts houses.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that the ORIGINAL solenoid went bad, but repeated failures is a red flag. If you bought aftermarket, go get an OEM part. If you bought OEM, try aftermarket this time.

And, as mentioned, check rating and try for something "heavier duty".

Personally, I prefer Bosch electrical components when I can find them. JMHO on that one....

/ Why does my starter solenoid go bad #5  
undersized battery cables will drive the current way up, as seen by the solenoid.

/ Why does my starter solenoid go bad
Thanks everyone for your help I will look into a heavier duty solenoid.

/ Why does my starter solenoid go bad #7  
I killed a new $350 starter. It turned out that it was from low voltage to the relay. Just google john deere hard start kit. It's a simple relay. If you check Potter & Brumfield VF4-45F11 in google you can find the same relay as in the kit. I did this. Now the tractor fires up fast and its happy. Low voltages causes the solenoid to stutter and kills it.