changed hydraulic/trans fluid. It calls for 8gal still need more after 12gal?

/ changed hydraulic/trans fluid. It calls for 8gal still need more after 12gal? #1  

2LateIWon

Silver Member
Tractor
AGCO/CAT Challenger MT275
So I changed the tranny/hydraulic fluid last night. The manual calls for like 8.7gal of fluid I put in almost 12 gal and it is still not showing up on the sight glass. First I made sure no leaks :)thumbsup:) then I started it up and ran it around the yard a bit eveything works fine no wierd nosies but it's still not showing up on the sight glass.

I do have an aftermarket FEL but I didn't think it would call for that much extra fluid.

What should I do keep filling it?

p.s. I have a Challenger MT275 with ML30 loader

/ changed hydraulic/trans fluid. It calls for 8gal still need more after 12gal? #2  
Are you sure it's not over full? maybe went past the sight glass? Sometimes its tricky to see new oil.

/ changed hydraulic/trans fluid. It calls for 8gal still need more after 12gal?
I thought the same thing. But I kept my eye on it. I was doing it at night too. It almost seems like the level is just below the sight glass. I think I'll unscrew the filter and drain some out that way. Then I can screw it back in to stop the flow.

Yep that's what it was. So clear never even saw it go past the fill line.

/ changed hydraulic/trans fluid. It calls for 8gal still need more after 12gal? #5  
wow...good job MFRED

thanks but what is mfred mean?

/ changed hydraulic/trans fluid. It calls for 8gal still need more after 12gal? #7  
I think wb19 was referring to MFRED's correct diagnosis in the second post above...:)thumbsup:)

I almost had the same issue- the NAPA tractor fluid I got for my 50-hr service is sorta tea-colored, but he TSC fluid I got for the 250-hr service is darn near crystal clear! Makes it very hard to spot in the sight glass if it's really full.

Seems like I saw a post once about adding something to give the fluid a bit of color....ATF?

/ changed hydraulic/trans fluid. It calls for 8gal still need more after 12gal? #8  
I'm guilty of the same thing.

The fluid for my Massey is so clear that I didn't see it go past the sight glass. Had to drain some out.

adding tint to it would help a bunch. hum ATF=RED that's pretty easy to see.....hummmm
Thanks I hate those stupid mistakes. I thought about not even posting this until i had a chance to look at it to see if I over filled it but I got bored at work LOL