pitman shaft seal replacement

/ pitman shaft seal replacement #1  

94yj

Tractor
john deere jd 400 industrial
I have a massey ferguson 204 workbull. and The left steering shaft "the one the pitman arm hooks to" is leaking some fluid how hard is it to replace the seal and how is it done lmk asap also have been told the 35 and 135 and others take the same gear box as mine thanks

Attachments

• 204 pitman shaft.jpg
    204 pitman shaft.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 605
Last edited:
   / pitman shaft seal replacement #2  
I decided to replace mine last year only to find out they were a sealed unit and could not be fixed. I order a couple off ebay. They were made in turkey but they fit and are still going strong.

/ pitman shaft seal replacement #3  
G,Day 94yj.
Remove the steering arm on the side you are going to repair ,to do this undo the nut on the track rod end until it will come of by fingers ,dont take it all the way of you want to protect the threads ,next get a heavy hammer say 4 pound and place it on the SIDE of the track rod end and while holding the heavy hammer IN CONTACT WITH the side of the track rod end ,using a 2 pound hammer give the opposite SIDE a sharp tap or two and the rod end will pop out then undo the nut and swing the rod forward out of the way.
next , undo the big nut that holds the steering drop arm in place again for the same reason leave the nut on nearly a full nut just to protect the threads and using a heavy duty puller or the hammer method ,remove the drop arm,the arm is splined onto the shaft and has a MASTER SPLINE look at it closely and be sure to refit the arm with the splines lined up .
Clean up the shaft and splines with a wire brush and some petrol so as not to get any dirt in the steering box.
Next get two self tapping screws ,ones with big cheese heads and put a steel washer under the head ,drill screw one into the seal either side and with two screwdrivers lever the old seal out, Seals are a fairly common size take the old one to the local bearing shop it will be easier if you can measure you the shaft and the housing diameter where the seal fits into the gearbox.

Happy days .
Hutch.