Oil & Fuel F40 leaks gear oil

/ F40 leaks gear oil #1  

ScottRFoster

Tractor
Ferguson F40
Hi:

I have gear oil puking out a hole in the front of the gear box... see red arrow in attached pic.

gearoilleak.jpg

Oil is milky and I suspect water intrusion from rotten boots on the shift levers.

Before I replace the oil - does puking from this location indicate a bad seal - if so, what is entailed in the repair?

If not, should I simply replace the boot and replace the gear oil?

Thanks,

/ F40 leaks gear oil
Also - is there a pressure relief / breather port I should check to make sure there is no clog?

Thanks,

/ F40 leaks gear oil #3  
probably a little late with this reply but i see no one else has replied. yes thse water is getting in around the rubber shift boot. replace the boot however i still don't trust that water won't get in, either cover with a tarp when not in use or set a plastic pail over the gear shift. i don't think there is a pressure relief valve if it's a standard transmission the gears run in the oil and bring it to the top. as far as the leak there should be a seal around the front output shaft on the transmission but if water is leaking in it is also overful. i would try draining and rerfilling with fresh oil first. oil at the proper level may not leak out.

/ F40 leaks gear oil #4  
Hi:

I have gear oil puking out a hole in the front of the gear box... see red arrow in attached pic.

gearoilleak.jpg

Oil is milky and I suspect water intrusion from rotten boots on the shift levers.

Before I replace the oil - does puking from this location indicate a bad seal - if so, what is entailed in the repair?

If not, should I simply replace the boot and replace the gear oil?

Thanks,

There should be a "weep hole" at the bottom of the interface between the block and the bell housing with a cotter key in the weep hole to keep it clear of dirt and bugs , etc. Then any rear main bearing leakage or front input shaft seal leakage will drip underneath and not fill the bellhousing and wet the clutch. Check your tractor for this drain at the bottom. The leakage can either be engine lube oil or transhydraulic fluid. In either case, it will take a split to fix it.

/ F40 leaks gear oil #5  
yep.. shifter boots won't do didly for that dry area of the bellhousing. tas said.. there should be a weep hole.. might have a cotter pin in it. drains clutch bellhousing of rear main and trans input shaft seal leaks..