GC 2410 steering

/ GC 2410 steering #1  

rjmack

Platinum Member
Tractor
GC2410
my steering ram needs replaced as it is very sloppy. there is also oil leaking in that area. i have been checking the engine oil level and that doesn't seem to be the source of the leak. does the steering cylinder get it's oil supply from the main hydraulic pump?

/ GC 2410 steering #3  
Are the lines that go into the ram leaking.any of the fittings loose. You also say that the ram is sloppy??? What do you mean by that.The reason I ask is that my cylinder was loose but it was on account of the mounting brackets being loose at one time before I got the tractor.Someone had added extra mounting plates onto each side of the cylinder.Been wondering about that ever since and thinking that this maybe what has to be done to keep the cylinder from getting loose.Its possible the oririnal brackets just aren;t strong enough and they end up bending over time.Can you verify that its actually the ram itself thats loose or the brackets that hold the cylinder to the front axle housing.

/ GC 2410 steering
Can you verify that its actually the ram itself thats loose or the brackets that hold the cylinder to the front axle housing.

i asked the mf mechanic about it last time i had the tractor in for service. i thought the tie rods were worn out because of the way the steering was loose and the wheels could be moved over an inch independently of the other wheel. he said it was inside the ram itself and it would need replaced. that's when he noticed the oil leak and told me it was probably the front seal on the engine and they would have to pull the engine to do that. seeing as they didn't have the ram or the seal in stock and were very busy and i needed the machine, they said they would do it next time i was in.

so i have been running the machine for a couple of months now, keeping an eye on the crankcase oil, and i don't think the leak is coming from the engine. i have had to add oil to the main reservoir. there does appear to be quite a leak in that area but everything is so tight it is hard to pin down exactly where it's coming from.

btw, i am at 199 hrs.

/ GC 2410 steering #5  
wheels could be moved over an inch independently of the other wheel. he said it was inside the ram itself and it would need replaced.
he noticed the oil leak and told me it was probably the front seal on the engine . btw, i am at 199 hrs.

That doesn't make sense,if the wheels move 1" independently of each other then its a external problem.The shaft inside the Ram is a one piece Rod so if it was broken inside the one wheel wouldn't steer and the shaft would pull out one side.Take a good look and see if the tie rods are worn or if there loose at all.

It's pretty hard to tell but if you've never had to add engine oil then maybe not.Have you checked the front diff oil?? There's 0-rings on each end of the front pivot pin inside the front axle housing,I've changed mine once because they were leaking.Mine is a 2007 GC 2300 with 1725 hrs.

One other thing to check is make sure the cylinder hold down plates are still tight and the cylinder isn't moving around.When I bought my tractor [used ] some one had already added a extra plate on each end of the cylinder to keep it tight .There's lots of force on those plates especially if your doing lots of loader work and carrying heavy loads in the bucket.Just grab hold of the cylinder and see if you can move it sideways or up and down.

Guess your's is still on warrenty so hopefully your Dealer will get it fixed.

/ GC 2410 steering
That doesn't make sense,if the wheels move 1" independently of each other then its a external problem.The shaft inside the Ram is a one piece Rod so if it was broken inside the one wheel wouldn't steer and the shaft would pull out one side.Take a good look and see if the tie rods are worn or if there loose at all.

the mechanic definitely told me the play is 'inside' the cylinder. i'm starting to get the feeling that the more times i take it in for repairs, the more things go wrong with it... mind you, maybe that's just in my head. all the same, it's been 16 months and the loader quick connector leak that has been leaking since brand new is still leaking after 4 times in the shop. btw, the mechanic has already had that cylinder out to check or shim something on a previous visit.

btw, have you ever rebuilt the loader cylinders? my boom curl cylinders have gone bad and i missed the warranty window for repair. i am told the bulk of the cost of repair is in the labour.

/ GC 2410 steering #7  
You can rebuild one of those loader cylinders in about 15 minuites if you've got the tools out. The kits are about $30 or $35 if I remember right. They're pretty simple & easy to do. Just a few O-rings & seals.

You're front end slop has me wondering too. If it's warranty, I would replace the whole thing if that was in question. They probably had to check the cylinder mounting to make sure they were in the right direction.

/ GC 2410 steering #8  
   / GC 2410 steering #9  
i asked the mf mechanic about it last time i had the tractor in for service. i thought the tie rods were worn out because of the way the steering was loose and the wheels could be moved over an inch independently of the other wheel. he said it was inside the ram itself and it would need replaced. that's when he noticed the oil leak and told me it was probably the front seal on the engine and they would have to pull the engine to do that. seeing as they didn't have the ram or the seal in stock and were very busy and i needed the machine, they said they would do it next time i was in.

so i have been running the machine for a couple of months now, keeping an eye on the crankcase oil, and i don't think the leak is coming from the engine. i have had to add oil to the main reservoir. there does appear to be quite a leak in that area but everything is so tight it is hard to pin down exactly where it's coming from.

btw, i am at 199 hrs.

Looks like you have a good mechanic, same thing happened to me not long ago-found a leak under the ram. Thought it was coming from the steering column or the ram hoses. They replaced the ram hoses the first time (took three weeks because the ram hose is a special hose that comes from Japan). It still leaked, brought it back and they checked the steering column. My mechanic had to call Agco to come out and they eventually found the leak coming from the fron oil pan gasket. Said it was a manufacturer assembly defect.

Yes they will have to remove the engine. but it's an easy fix. Also makes sure the check the ram brackets to make sure they are assembled correctly. Mine wasn't but I never got the recall either.....

/ GC 2410 steering #10  
Check the mount brackets to see if the one on the right (while sitting on the tractor) is not mounted upside down. If it is this is a recall and could have resulted in your steering cylinder problems. Do a search, I posted some pics when I found this out.