MF 35 weep hole

/ MF 35 weep hole #1  

Coolvtfly

Tractor
Massey ferguson 35
Just picked up a 1964 MF 35. There are no weep holes on the underside, just a couple of bolts, is this proper?

/ MF 35 weep hole #2  
Just picked up a 1964 MF 35. There are no weep holes on the underside, just a couple of bolts, is this proper?

No, someone probably put those in there to stop the oil from dripping out until they could get it sold. Take them out before oil gets on the clutch. Ken Sweet

/ MF 35 weep hole
Thanks Ken, just so I got it right the two drain plugs are on the side below the clutch and pto shifter and the weep holes are in front of the four bolt plate and on the bottom under the clutch? I've got two manuals and no diagrams. Thanks again. Scott Cooledge

/ MF 35 weep hole #4  
Thanks Ken, just so I got it right the two drain plugs are on the side below the clutch and pto shifter and the weep holes are in front of the four bolt plate and on the bottom under the clutch? I've got two manuals and no diagrams. Thanks again. Scott Cooledge

The weep hole is in about the center of the bell housing. Ken Sweet

/ MF 35 weep hole
Thanks again Ken, pulled the bolt in the bell housing about a 1/4 cup of oil drained out. Took a peak at my neighbors MF 165 and that has two weep holes. I'm thinking that the bolt in the hole by the plate with four bolts is another weep hole. Can't believe I can't find an image of the underside of a 35.

/ MF 35 weep hole #6  
Take a close look at that 165....You should see the ends of cotter pins sticking through the TWO weep holes. Those help to keep the holes from packing full of dirt and debris. The cotter pins are loose, and any time they brush against anything (ie, grass, weeds, ect) they move, clearing any obstructions.

The locations of the TWO weep holes on the 165 will be identical to the locations of the TWO weep holes found on a 35. It's not uncommon for the cotter pins to be gone....They get sheared off or might have been removed by someone who just didn't know what they were for. Once they're gone, dirt can pack in the holes. The dirt gets oil soaked, then dries out. After time, the holes are sealed as if they never existed.

Or, it sounds like someone may have drilled them out, tapped them, and threaded bolts in the place of the cotter pins.

At any rate, they need to be found and left open to drain or you'll have clutch troubles in short order.

Oil may come from engine OR tranny... (Rear main leaking, or rear oil pan gasket leaking in the event of engine oil. Front input shaft seal leaking in the event of tranny oil) A small amount of oil dripping isn't uncommon, nor is it a serious problem. Excessive amounts need attention.