Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    kubota L3000dt, ford 8n1952

Default Re: Black Engine Oil after 10 hours?

When in doubt, drag the dipstick across a white cloth or papertowel. BTW, you see a lot of fiber or tiny trash on the dipstick? Change oil filters right away, most likely it is faulty..
    Okay, Legal disclaimer: Old but not senile, definitely do not have the answer to everything!

Tractor
    2010 GC2610

Quote Originally Posted by rjmack View Post
    my gc2410 will go about 50 hours before the oil starts to get dark, but even then it is still transparent on the dipstick. you can see the metal 'dust' starting to build up by that point. i'm finding that the difference in cold idle characteristics are really noticeable with fresh oil. btw, running castrol full synthethic.

If you can "see" metal "dust" in your oil at anytime, it would be worrisome too me. I would change the filter just to be on the safe side, it doesn't seem to be catching the debris like it should.
    2010 MF GC2610--MF60"MMM--King Kutter XB 4' rotary cutter-- 4' King Kutter XB boxblade-- Ratchet Rake-- Check that parking brake

Tractor
    GC 2310 (Mighty Mouse)

rjmack, the Castrol oil you are using make sure it is rated for diesel be it synthethic or not. Oil rated just for gas may not be up to the task of a diesel. It may be the reason the oil is not black.

Doug

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310,

my gc2410 will go about 50 hours before the oil starts to get dark, but even then it is still transparent on the dipstick. you can see the metal 'dust' starting to build up by that point. i'm finding that the difference in cold idle characteristics are really noticeable with fresh oil. btw, running castrol full synthethic.
    This is probably a matter of perception, but if it is really taking 50 hrs. for your oil to get dirty, I would use a different oil.

"Metal dust"????????????????

Tractor
    GC2410

"Metal dust"????????????????
    it's okay... relax

if you look at the oil on the dipstick in the sunlight after it's been in there for a while, it gets a metallic sort of shimmer in it, like metallic paint. i think this is normal.

btw, it is diesel rated oil.

i had an old miller diesel welding machine with 7900 hours on it. the lift pump diaphram went bad and it started pumping diesel fuel into the crankcase. it took me a while to notice there was oil coming out of the dipstick hole, and longer to figure out why. long story short the diesel diluted the oil so much that it effectively washed the inside of the crankcase. after that it ran a lot longer before the oil turned dark.
    2009 mf gc2410
    1972 Patrick Lift Truck
    1949 Allis Chalmers WD

__________________________________________________ ______________

Tractor
    kubota L3000dt, ford 8n1952

Metal dust indeed, well for years I have cut the tops off of oil filters...Both at work and on my own equipment...Metal shavings show up a lot in filters..Oil analisis tells a better story, but i don't have it done. I have had factory oil filters fail? I just watch it close, and try to use the good stuff..I have had fuel pumps fail and fill the crankcase with fuel. Both small block Chevys and my ole 6.2 diesel truck did it and it does clean up the crankcases.
    Okay, Legal disclaimer: Old but not senile, definitely do not have the answer to everything!

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

15 hours before the oil in the 1635 starts to discolour.

One thing for you to do, use the tractor before you change the oil, give it a good work out, so it is good and hot. Then shut it down, and change the oil.

Seems to work for me.
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12