Black Engine Oil after 10 hours?

/ Black Engine Oil after 10 hours? #1  

HellBender

Tractor
CG 2600
This is my first Diesel. Its a GC2600. At 50 hours the oil was black. Now at 10 hours it's blacken significantly. Is this normal? Using the Agco Multigaurd oil.

/ Black Engine Oil after 10 hours? #2  
This is my first Diesel. Its a GC2600. At 50 hours the oil was black. Now at 10 hours it's blacken significantly. Is this normal? Using the Agco Multigaurd oil.

Normal... Diesel has lots of carbon and the oil cleans that carbon as well as lubricates. Being that the oil cleans as well as lubricates is one of the reason why most diesels takes more oil, have bigger filters or more then one filter then gas engines.

/ Black Engine Oil after 10 hours? #4  
That oil was probably black after 1 hour.....:laughing

Mr Steve's right on: diesel oil is designed to hold carbon particles in suspension; that's why diesel oils carry the "C" designation (compression ignition) as opposed to the "S" found on oil for gas (spark ignition) engines.

/ Black Engine Oil after 10 hours? #6  
This is my first Diesel. . .

It will be OK. :D

Seriously, some engines blacken the oil quicker than others, but they all do it. Diesels are not like gassers. Welcome to the club. :thumbsup:

/ Black Engine Oil after 10 hours? #8  
Yes, Soot and combustion by-products. If the engine is loose, quicker accumulation or Blackening..

/ Black Engine Oil after 10 hours? #9  
my gc2410 will go about 50 hours before the oil starts to get dark, but even then it is still transparent on the dipstick. you can see the metal 'dust' starting to build up by that point. i'm finding that the difference in cold idle characteristics are really noticeable with fresh oil. btw, running castrol full synthethic.

/ Black Engine Oil after 10 hours? #10  
have had good results with Rotella 15-40, wears well