MF 231 front end good for loader?

/ MF 231 front end good for loader? #1  

oz in SC

Silver Member
Tractor
None right now...
I know that the 135 was a bit iffy for having a loader,and the 231 is an updated version of the 135 so I was wondering if the front end was updated/beefed up to handle a loader.

I would think in the intervening 50 years MF would have done so but oyu never know....:D

/ MF 231 front end good for loader? #2  
135's weren't exactly horrible for loaders....and 231's are slighly better....The problem crops up when those tractors (and loaders) are used like a rented mule.....Both are very capable tractors with plenty of power and enough weight so that a loader will handle a fair amount of weight. That tends to put them in a position where they get used a bit harder than they were probably intended to be used.

I trashed the front end on a '73 Ford 3000 I bought new....It took near 30 years of hard use that some would say bordered on abuse.

Many tractors had loaders available that would fit them just fine, but were probably capable of lifting more than the tractor really needed to be lifting.

I've seen front ends on BIG farm tractors that get worn slap out with a manure loader on a dairy farm....NOTHING will hold up to hard use forever.

Don't use it like a CAT 953 track loader and it'll do ok....

/ MF 231 front end good for loader?
Okay thanks.

Found a 231 with loader for sale close by.
Comes with 6ft bushhog.
Asking $6000.
Says it needs a control valve for the loader and could do with painting.
Talked to the seller,hours are unknown as hour meter doesn't work,has 636 hours on the meter however.
Loader control valve doesn't work he says,if you use the loader,the lift goes up as well,and also the loader will go back down.
The loader is a MF but not a 232 model,says the previous owner had a dealer install it and it is an industrial loader.

Last edited: