Tach/Speedometer Cable

/ Tach/Speedometer Cable #1  

308xp

Tractor
MF 245
IMG_0323.jpg
I have a MF 245 and replaced the Tach cable. The cable came with what appears to be an adaptor that fits the "engine end". The problem seems to be that the square end of the adapter is undersize for the female recptacle in the engine. As a result it worked for a short period of time then the sharp edges are gone and the cable doesn't turn.

Do these come in different sizes? Where can I get a larger one?
If they don't come in different sizes then maybe my problem is in the female receptacle?
308XP

Last edited:
   / Tach/Speedometer Cable #2  
Don't know the answer to your question but if you saved the old cable I can tell you how to reuse the old male end and it'll save you from having to buy the new housing....
I buy generic speedo/tach cable at the auto parts store and reuse the old ends.... costs about 8 bucks to replace a cable that way

/ Tach/Speedometer Cable
Actually, I trashed it a few days after replacing with the new one. But maybe if I get a generic cable and try it....Maybe it'll work....I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the reply....I'm willing to spend 8 bucks to try again:)

/ Tach/Speedometer Cable #4  
I have that same fitting on my Perkins Diesel MF135. I bought the tractor and the tach cable was missing.
I got a new one and installed it. Tach would not spin.

I tried to insert just the adapter all of the way in the motor. It just would not go in all of the way. I could however get the threads to start on the cable housing.

I removed the adapter from the rear of the head. I used a pick similar to a dental tool and dug a piece of the old square cable end from the inside of the cam. The piece was about as long as the piece extending from your pinkie finger.
Tach works great now. That was my fix. yours could be similar.
Good Luck!

/ Tach/Speedometer Cable
Thanks for the reply. I can get the end in and everything screws up tight....It just doesn't turn the shaft....It did at the beginning then quit.....I'm starting to believe the problem is in the "engine end" where the shaft goes in....Maybe stripped out??? The hole to large??